Smoothing out a lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by The mayor, Aug 3, 2005.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

My sister in law wants her lawn smoothed out. It is lumpy throughout the whole lawn. I am in the lawn care business not landscaping. Would a rockhound then hydroseed take care of what she needs to get the job done. Or am I way off. What steps would be needed to get the job done.
  2. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

Depending on how much work you want to actually do you could sod cut the entire lawn and then harley the existing loam and or bring in new loam. I think that would be the best way and also give the best results. Or you could get new loam and put it over the existing grass and harley that out. A harley rake is sort of like a rockhound it just does not collect rocks and debris from the lawn. However it does allow you to direct loam in either direction and tilts to give grade.
  3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

how bad is it and how compressed is it already? is the lawn really nice as it is and just bumpy? some here used to be fields and they are rutted and were just box bladed before seed was thrown down... man makes for a bumpy ride thats for sure

We are scraping our entire 1 acre lawn this winter then renovating it due to this same problem. its nice grass so a friend building a new house is going to come cut all the sod and haul it for his house. Make it alot easier for us to get in a new irrigation system and plumb the fountains and lighting thats going in.