smoothing out a yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ERIC ROBERGE, Oct 17, 2005.

1. ERIC ROBERGE

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

My back yard has quit a few bumps and dips since I had a drain field replaced 3 years ago. I was wanting to know the best way and about what kind of dollars it would cost me to smooth it out.
    The area is about 13,000 sq/ft and is roughly square in shape. The yard is bermuda and has clay soil. I live in Loganville, which is about 30 miles east of Atlanta, if that matters.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

SInce you have bermuda,scalp it during the spring and topdress with sand.The sand will level and the bermuda will grow into and through the sand.
    Other option is to roll the lawn with a roller. Early spring is the best time,since the soil will be moist.Be sure to aerate the lawn after you've rolled it.

3. ERIC ROBERGE

The roller will probably take care of the small bumps, but I dont think it will do anything with the depressions and the general uneveness of the ground.
    There is a depression where the drainfield lines are from the ground settling. There are some depressions that are 5 to 6 feet in diameter. The depressions are gentle enough not to affect mowing, butyou can see them easily. The yard is used for general use and play and I would like not having to worry about twisting an ankle or tripping while playing with the kids.
    I am guessing it will take some topsoil being added and leveled out in some way. What I dont know is about how much it will cost and what options I have in accomplishing a safe even yard. I would like to know the best way to do this job so I can make a reasonable assumption that whoever I get to do this job knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the advice

eric.

4. NickN

from Alabama

Topdress with sand in the larger areas.Sand levels itself after a few rains and the bermuda will grow just fine through, as well as into it.
    Cost will depend on how many large areas need topdressing or if you want the entire lawn topdressed.The entire lawn will cost quite a bit depending on the depth of topdressing.If you only have a few large areas in need of topdressing,I'd go with rolling the lawn and topdress the large areas.It will fill right in a few weeks,but do both in the spring.

5. ERIC ROBERGE

How heavy does a roller have to be to be effective? What is the easiest way to topdress with sand? What kind of sand is used to topdress?

6. NickN

from Alabama

A 600lb roller will work fine if you wait till spring,when the soil is moist and soft.
    For topdressing,course builders sand.
    I have a topdresser,which works great and saves tons of time,but a wheelbarrow and shovel will do fine.Just fill in the areas so they are level with the existing grade.It will fill in with bermuda during the growing season.

7. ERIC ROBERGE

This job would probably be a little big for a wheelbarrow and a shovel. The bumps and dips cover a large portion of the 13,000 sq/ft area in my back yard. The septic company did an exceptionally poor job of regrading the area they used to put my drainfield lines in. At that time, I hoped time and weather would level things out. To some extent it did, but it will take a long time to naturally even itself out.
    About how much cost in labor should it take to so something like this with the appropriote equipment. I know you cant see the job with your own eyes and there could be some variables that have to be taken into account. I understand that this kind of work may look easy on the surface, but in reality to get the result I want may take skills and knowledge I do not have.
    I would like to know enough about what needs to be done to be able to determine that whoever I get to do this job knows what they are doing and is not going to screw it up. I can do that all by myself for free... plus materials of course.

8. NickN

from Alabama

Send me a PM with your email address please.I'll help as much as I can.