1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Smoothing out lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by paradoxer411, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You're purpose was to smooth the lawn inexpensively... no surprise that the roll er didn't work, so go onto the next step... get a truck load of your desired topdressing material, i.e. sand w/OM and wheelbarrow it about the yard and with a shovel, iron rake, and steel tined broom rake, level the lawn a correctly...

If it turns to concrete, let us know and I'll send you the money necessary, to dig it all up and bring in some super topsoil... Don't forget the OM as being a necessary component of any and all soils...

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Lmao! ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

All this talk about about concrete yards. Did everybody suddenly start topdressing with Portland Cement?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

No, sand+clay=concrete I hear. Mine hasn't cured yet...and by the looks of my lawn at 100+ temps it appears that it either has not cured or Bermuda likes growing in concrete.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. paradoxer411

paradoxer411 LawnSite Member

Just Did the math, the yard I will be leveling is 56ftx78ft, so It's 4,368 square feet. I am thinking that the bumps may be about an inch and a half at the most severe parts, so I am going to need around 20 cubic yards of top dressing material. Time to figure out how many bags I am going to need...Thanks for all the help guys

6. cgaengineer

You only need about 5 cu yards. You are really filling in low spots only and dragging sand over the high spots. Don't buy bags, order a truckload.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. paradoxer411

paradoxer411 LawnSite Member

I'm 14, and my Dad doesn't live with me. I am basically on my own here in this whole project, and i'm not going to order in a whole truckload.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

So how do you propose to move all those bags?

Now let's discuss how much your going to lose in profit buying by the bag. Have you priced a 2cu ft bag of compost at HD? Have you even discussed how much this is going to cost your customer? This is not a cheap service. Hence the reason most guys don't offer it and most customers won't pay for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

Than figure your job costing several thousand dollars. If you can't order a truckload at a fraction of the cost of bagged sand and compost the job is too much for you. Sub it out to someone who can handle it and do it right.

I would not even consider bags as an option...because they ain't.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Why would someone ask a 14 year old to do such a job anyway? I certainly wouldn't