Smoothness of ZTR control inputs??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WGASA, Jun 22, 2006.

1. WGASA

WGASA LawnSite Member
    from NM

Looking to buy JD 757 60", Hustler Z 60" or Exmark HP 56". One significant variable to evaluate is how smooth and easy to operate are the control handles of each brand. For those, who have been there, can you give your opinions. Thx

2. WGASA

WGASA LawnSite Member
    from NM

I've tried the JD and it seems to ease into forward and reverse, but I heard that the Hustler is real responsive...some would say touchy - don't know anything about the ExMark in this regard. Maybe they are all pretty much the same....that would even be good to know. thx

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD 757 25kaw (103 Hrs) and a Lazer Z 23 Koh (1200 Hrs). The John Deere is much smoother hands down. The Lazer is soo jerky, we never use it on nice lawns. The JD felt sluggish, but now its broken in, it handles perfect.

Cut quality of the JD is much better too.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I may be overstating this a bit, but I think it's all in the dampners. I agree that the Exmark seems a little jerkier (Is that a word?:confused: ) but I have grown to like it as I can make control changes faster. Faster = $$$$. I also have a similar size Scag (Wildcat) and you can see the difference in the dampners both in feel, and the actual dampner itself. It takes more presure for control input and actually is a smoother feel...but slower. Hope that helped.

5. WGASA

WGASA LawnSite Member
    from NM

I appreciate the response, as do others, I'm sure, who are thinking about a new machine. I think that I would prefer a slower, more measured input than one that if I barely touched it, it would jump. I don't want to have to be 'that' attentive to the touch, especially on moist or slick ground.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a JD 717A; bought it a couple of months ago. I think the stick response is very good. It certainly is not jerky, but rather easy to control and not spin/skid tires.

I was concerned about being able to make straight passes across an open lawn. That has not been a problem at all. Despite some of the lawns being quite rough, with the machine bouncing around, I am still able to do well at making straight lines.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

When someone says jerky I take that as more responsive. I knew heavy equipment operators that complained of new backhoes being jerky but it was just a more powerful hydraulic stystem. You can get used to any of major brands. Scag has the most dampering I've seen and Dixie Chopper seems to have the least. There is a difference in powerful sensitive controls and dampering though. A week hydraulic system (small pumps and motors) seems smoother to the average person when they first get on mower but they will appreciate the quick handling later. My opinion. My lazer goes on the best lawns. Using the controls on the Lazer and other top mowers is as easy as breathing after you get used to it. You don't even think about it.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

They are all different, the more you use them the easier to operate either will be.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Altavista Lawn care. Are you using the MOD deck on your 757 ? If so have you experimented with the blades, high lifts medium , or mulching ? I demoed one and I swear it would not side discharge hardly at all. It would cut clean but windrow the grass, the mulch deck did the same. What have you learned about that MOD so far?

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Funny how 'most' share the same pumps and wheel motors...
    Yet they all feel so different.

It doesn't have much to do with dampening. The dampners are just used for stick resistance and return to neutral. I personally do not like the dampening effect much. All I want is just enough so the stick stays in neutral and doesn't fall over when I put it there and let go.

Anyways, the response/jerkyness has more to do with the overall system setup. Some systems are smooth and some are a bit quick/sensitive. The dampners will help a quick system some if they are stiff, but it won't erase the fact they are sensitive.