snails

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

any suggestions on getting rid of snails without killing a bunch of beneficial organisms? i have heard that beer attracts them. anyone?

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

beer attracts them, true enough, and the idea is that their bodies cannot process the yeast. But beer also attracts a lot of other things, including your dog, cat and children. Salt does quite a number on them, but the commercial pelletized baits(corry's, etc.)placed properly in their shelter areas(like groundcovers) seem to be the very most effective way of controlling slugs and snails.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I just came across an article from a few yars ago on this. One of the biggerr universities did a study on this and decided that O'Doul's Amber worked best. The article did not mention baits.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

regardless...my house in on a creek and I have a lot of mature groundcover, ideal habitat for snails. I've filled drum liners a quarter full of dead snails and slugs after baiting. I don't use it a lot, because of ducks and dogs in the yard, but baits work.