1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snake repellant?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

ok.. I know that this is a long shot.. but I have a customer that is freaking out about snakes.. and of course she basicly lives in the woods.

She's looking for a snake repellant. Have you guys seen anything that actually works? She has a privacy fenced back yard, and that's where her main concern is.

2. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I bought a jug of Dr. T's Snake-a-way. It is listed for poisoness and non-poisonous snakes. I used it to control the garder snakes around my house because I have a lot of stone walls and my wife freaks out when she sees them. I am not too fond of them either. You basically spread it along the perimeter and it repels them away from the scent. It smells like moth balls. I don't think it actually harms them. The product EPA No. is 58630-1. It seemed to work pretty well but I think you have to re-apply often. I came home from work one day and my neighbor across the street told me he saw a snake leaving my yard and was trying to make it across the street...so I guess the stuff worked. Good Luck!
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Terrier will do it..may have to go through a few of them to get the job done though
  4. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard applying sulfer to the lawn and bed areas helps because it makes the soil acidic and it is irritating to the snakes underbelly. Now I dont know what that much acid will do to the turf and plants. I guess if you have Rhododendron and azalias it'll be okay.
  5. moonjunespoon

moonjunespoon LawnSite Member
    from texas

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :drinkup:
  6. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i would go with a mongoose:)
    don`t know never heard of anything,i don`t think they can actually smell.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Layne Staley

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I service a residential customer,they throw down moth balls for snakes i don't know if this works,.
  9. allgreenlawncare

allgreenlawncare LawnSite Member

Find there food source be it rodents or insects eliminate their source of food and they will move on..
  10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Do cats and dogs count as a food source? LOL Actually, all she's seen have been baby snakes... probably there by 'accident' any how..