Snakes, anyone for clearing tall grass?? NOT I

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Feb 2, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Got a little embarassing story to tell. Two years ago I worked for a LCO. Ill say this now IM TERRIFIED OF SNAKES, well I got dropped off one day at a housing development by myself for 8 hours to wackdown 5 big water retention ponds.

I went into the first one not even thinkin about snakes, boss gave me the privelage of getting to use his new HONDA WEEDEATER, woo hoo god I came outa there with some new arms. I went in there and started clearing I glance down and see a snakes slithering. Im not joking I almost had a heart attack at the age of 17. Heat wave came over me and I was outta there, I also dropped the damn HONDA.

I stood there on the road for 15 min thinking of what to do, I couldnt call my boss and tell him this he had three guys with him that I barely Knew. By now your probably picturing this, but it gets better. Im standing there thinking of how I can overcome this fear of snakes by the way their all Garner snakes, So I call my PREGNANT GIRLFRIEND. We'll what the hell am I supposed to do not do the work and get fired from a great job.

Girlfriend rolls up, all she did for the first 5mins was make fun, so I geared her up with safety glasses, ear plugs and the spare homelite trimmer they left just incase. We go in I sprint through the pond grab my honda and started goin crazy wackin every thing down and also trying not to look down LOL. I honestly could not of done this without her, but shes holdin me up and makin me stop every 2 mins my plan was to keep movin and not to look down, this homelite trimmer is getting wrapped up in grass every 1-2 minutes.

Making me having to stand still, not a good thing I had momentum going. If he would have left me 2 sthil FS 85's I wouldnt have to stop, but I have to say thank god for that Homelite trimmer.

Girlfriend is not afraid of snakes at all, every time she got clogged I would try to unwind as fast as I could, she would yell snake at me almost every time. Ya real funny!!

I did see more snakes outa the corner of my eye and I would jump, scream like a girl and move to another spot clearing as fast as I could. If you lived in this place and were watching me out of your window (and I bet some people were) you would think I was SYCO and keep your kids inside.

We knocked out three they were pretty big, but I think boss expected more than that. I could have done more if I were normal. I told him that I forgot that I had a dentist appointment the next day for fillings, so wasnt able to come to work the next day. Luckily they finished the ponds off the next day.

I think a good point in this story is that my pregnant bitchy girfriend would really come do that for me. We were over at my old bosses house the other day and this popped into my head. I told him what I did he laughed and thought nothing else.

Now Im 18 shes 17 and he Alex my son is 10 months. Were living on our own in our own house running a legit buisness. Last year our first year infact we maintained 35 residental and 3 small commercial and alot of side jobs we net around 26K. I am still waiting for my back to recover from a posterior fusion that was done on DEC 10 2001 all due to a car accident that was not my fault (her dads a laywer too ) I just bought a new 6.5 x 12 tandem axle and am very excited to get out ther, after taking it easy and staying home bla bla bla. I WANT TO WORK. Just dropped off my scag for repairs and buying a new exmark viking very soon....... Well im goin to bed, man that was alot of typin for me.

2. [​IMG]

Your girlfriend is a keeper! [​IMG]

Love her with every ounce of your body and soul. [​IMG]

~p[​IMG]

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

At least there is 1 man in the family.:D

Just kidding. I hate snakes too.

4. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

Just remember ,most are harmless and are good for the enviroment ,eat rats and mice.:alien:

5. After getting bit 2 x by poisonous snakes, I am completily terrified of snakes.

I'll look at them if they are at a distance I can get away fast, but hey no snakes for me.

A Boa or Python while some one else is holding it, is another story.

And I don't like to kill them while mowing, but the poisonous ones I will.

Picked a few black and garder snakes up with rakes and weed eater to move them.

MAn do I hate those black hoses with 2 yellow stripes down them.

6. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

L.G.F, you really were bit by 2 snakes. I never relly thought about it, but alot of you guys have to work around poisenous snakes. I could not even imagine weeding through a bed and running into a poisenous snake gives me chills. How did you get bit, did you have to go to a hospital. We only have garner snakes around here their not poisenous. If there were poisenous snakes around here I would find a new occupation or move to another state.

How many of you guys have to work around poisenous snakes and how do you do it????????

7. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Very carefully...................:D

8. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Scagman
    make sure she teaches your son not to be afraid of snakes. and thank her often for saving your butt.
    she's a rare find you better be nice.because she knows your weakness.LOL

9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

funny story, John Wayne would be proud. Are you sure Washington State doesn't have rattlers?

Call me old-fashioned but if the girl is pregnant don't you think you've gone past the girlfriend/boyfriend stage?

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i hate snakes too. one of the lawns i mow, every year has a snake around the same spot. each time i come to mow, i know hes around but dont know when he will pop up. i found him this summer on top of a small bush. if i ever see him in the center of the lawn, ill ruin my striping pattern to get that one. i wonder what it would sound like if i run him over?