Snakes!.....I HATE snakes!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass Gator, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

Any horror stories out there of encountering those slithering sob's while on the job?

I was clearing a flower bed today and pulled back some dead material only to uncover a 2' snake. Scared the living sh#t out of me. I swear I must have jumped back about 10 feet!

Did I mention I hate snakes!

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

it's ok don't feel bad, lots of women are afraid of snakes.

3. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

last summer i mowed an overgrown field for some neighbors that was full of field mice. You could literally see the hair etc. flying out of the deck. As i was finishing up I had to move an old tarp that was laying in the bottom of this overgrown mess and 3 verrry large black snakes rolled out. You could tell they ate very well due to the number of rats you could count in their
    stomachs. Needless to say they didnt last long under a bobcat deck.

4. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

last summer i mowed an overgrown field for some neighbors that was full of field mice. You could literally see the hair etc. flying out of the deck. As i was finishing up I had to move an old tarp that was laying in the bottom of this overgrown mess and 3 verrry large black snakes rolled out. You could tell they ate very well due to the number of rats you could count in their
    stomachs. Needless to say they didnt last long under a bobcat deck.

5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I take care of a few lake front properties and run across (sometimes literally) quite a few snakes in those areas. Usually see them sunning on the rocks by the shoreline, but sometimes they'll run out from the sides. If they are quick enough they don't get run over. :rolleyes:

6. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago while mowing a overgrown lot. The mower and I encountered a black snake, he survived the mower deck, however ended up getting bound up in the Velke. I ended up removing a tire from the Velke to remove the snake. Good times. :p

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually like snakes. It spiders that I cant stand.

8. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Ya, I hate them too! The best thing to do is pin them down with a front wheel of a ZTR, remove your deck height pins and drop the deck down to the ground. Gets em every time.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Snakes are very beneficial reptile,they eat rodents and bad bugs.
    The won't bother you if you leave them alone,they want to get away from you more than you want to get away from them!and will try to avoid you or escape from you if you give them a chance.
    Snakes got a bad rap from the bible and have been paying with their lives ever scince.They are very gentle creatures .All of us should be aware when picking up boards,tarps,ect.
    Always be aware around rocks and water.- and always know what your feet are steping into or your hand is going...I had a pet Boa constrictor when I was a kid.
    I think snakes are cool and wish others wouldent automaticly kill every snake they see.

10. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

I was doing a spring cleanup this year and blew a 2 foot rattler out of some monkey grass with the blower.I pinned him down and cut his head off with my pruners. Needless to say I am always looking around when I cut that yard.