1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mpriester, Jul 8, 2013.

1. mpriester

mpriester LawnSite Member
    Male, from Dunbar, Pa.

Black and Garter. nothing deadly but 17 in 3 weeks is unusual.
  2. KWLawnSnow

KWLawnSnow LawnSite Member

Eh, when i come up to a snake, one of three things happen.. 1.) Mower Blades 2.) Weed Eater or 3.) Loopers! I hate them things with a passion! The end result i always win!
  3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never understood the fear of snakes, or the need to kill them for no reason other than "it's a snake". (and I'm scared of it)
  4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Last week found a Timber Rattler in a lawn It was 38'' long and 2'' dia in the middle
    I removed it

This first one I seen in town
  5. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

ive killed 5 water moccasins here at my house, which are pit vipers and their venom can kill. very common around these parts. everybody has to keep moth balls around their house to attempt to repel them. ive seen waaaay more oak snakes, grass snakes, and black racers than anything. id say ive seen a total of 15 snakes so far this year. its about normal. of course, I live in a small town with about 10 lakes, hence the name "lake park", that's probably why there are so many snakes.
  6. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen several black rat snakes and a couple of small copperheads
  7. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I saw a water moccasin last week. It's the first snake (living at least) that I've seen this year, but they are quite common in the southeast. OakNut, I'm scared of them because (as Zack said) they are extremely poisionous and can kill.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

This is a typical black rat snake we see.

Rat snake 5825 061112.jpg
  9. KWLawnSnow

KWLawnSnow LawnSite Member

a good snake is a dead one.. that's what I always say!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do people insist on killing snakes? They are part of our ecosystem just like any other animal. I have been in the landscape business for 12 years and have killed 1 rattlesnake because it was against a house with kids and dogs. I have relocated numerous snakes to woodlines or rivers.