1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Snakes

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mpriester, Jul 8, 2013.

1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Crap. Killed another snake by accident today.

Just a little garter snake maybe 10" long - got run over while push mowing a front yard.

I've seen more snakes this year alone than I've seen in the last three combined.

2. Sagehen

Sagehen LawnSite Member

Ran across this hungry guy last summer - Northern water snake I believe. In the morning, they are all over the banks of the pond warming in the sun.

rsz_imag0209.jpg

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't screw around with snakes... You don't mess with something that lives on land and decided that legs weren't important.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Was mowing next to a fence where I've frequently seen a lot of Garter Snakes. Only this time it was a frog that came out of nowhere. With all the rain we've had here recently, I was quite surprised to see a frog as opposed to a toad. Anyways, he jumped onto my deck...then sprung up real high and was about to land on top of my Kaw muffler when I swiveled it sideways just enough for him to miss it and land on my belt guard instead. Good thing too, cuz I aimed a thermal thermometer on the top of that muffler once...600 degrees Fahrenheit. Guessing that would've done him in.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Once, I hit a baby rabbit. I hit him with my push spreader. Pretty slow rabbit. I only go 2.5 mph.

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I killed another earthworm today.

That bastage was nearly as big as the little snake I hit a few weeks ago!

7. FF/P215

FF/P215 LawnSite Member
    from 01085

I just started reading this, and although I get a little unnerved by the slithering thing, I won't kill them. And I've been getting a kick out of OakNut. I can say I've whacked a few snakes, not on purpose, just happens. I thought I hit a baby rabbit once, but the problem with them is they don't realize they can outrun you, they just hunker down and hope they don't get seen. Being a Massachusetts boy, we don't have a plethora of venomous snakes, but timber rattlers and copperheads aren't uncommon. I've come across 1 rattlesnake ever, and that's living in the outside the city and spending a lot of time outdoors..

8. BeastMowed

BeastMowed LawnSite Member

Had to share this guy that I caught yesterday. He is my first venomous snake caught by hand. Timber rattlesnake

rattler.jpg

9. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

Yo, I don't do snakes by hand. They and snapping turtles give me the creeps. The snake would get my .45 snake shot. Most others get a pass.

10. lance75

lance75 LawnSite Member

Hey i live in the boro! Where did you catch this one? In someones yard?