1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mpriester, Jul 8, 2013.

1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Crap. Killed another snake by accident today.

Just a little garter snake maybe 10" long - got run over while push mowing a front yard.

I've seen more snakes this year alone than I've seen in the last three combined.
  2. Sagehen

Sagehen LawnSite Member

Ran across this hungry guy last summer - Northern water snake I believe. In the morning, they are all over the banks of the pond warming in the sun.

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't screw around with snakes... You don't mess with something that lives on land and decided that legs weren't important.
  4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Was mowing next to a fence where I've frequently seen a lot of Garter Snakes. Only this time it was a frog that came out of nowhere. With all the rain we've had here recently, I was quite surprised to see a frog as opposed to a toad. Anyways, he jumped onto my deck...then sprung up real high and was about to land on top of my Kaw muffler when I swiveled it sideways just enough for him to miss it and land on my belt guard instead. Good thing too, cuz I aimed a thermal thermometer on the top of that muffler once...600 degrees Fahrenheit. Guessing that would've done him in.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Once, I hit a baby rabbit. I hit him with my push spreader. Pretty slow rabbit. I only go 2.5 mph.
  6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I killed another earthworm today.

That bastage was nearly as big as the little snake I hit a few weeks ago!
  7. FF/P215

FF/P215 LawnSite Member
    Male, from 01077

I just started reading this, and although I get a little unnerved by the slithering thing, I won't kill them. And I've been getting a kick out of OakNut. I can say I've whacked a few snakes, not on purpose, just happens. I thought I hit a baby rabbit once, but the problem with them is they don't realize they can outrun you, they just hunker down and hope they don't get seen. Being a Massachusetts boy, we don't have a plethora of venomous snakes, but timber rattlers and copperheads aren't uncommon. I've come across 1 rattlesnake ever, and that's living in the outside the city and spending a lot of time outdoors..
  8. BeastMowed

BeastMowed LawnSite Member

Had to share this guy that I caught yesterday. He is my first venomous snake caught by hand. Timber rattlesnake

9. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

Yo, I don't do snakes by hand. They and snapping turtles give me the creeps. The snake would get my .45 snake shot. Most others get a pass.
  10. lance75

lance75 LawnSite Member

Hey i live in the boro! Where did you catch this one? In someones yard?