Snakes

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mpriester, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

What about when they don't slither away? They have those fangs for a reason.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I've definitely seen more snakes and Skinks (lizard) this year than in several past years combined. While I won't/can't say our regional drought is over, we are light years ahead of '11 (bad) & '12 (worst in my lifetime). Mother Nature is rebounding quite well.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The ones we have here are agressive and will stand their ground. The smaller they are the worse the bite. Pygmy rattlers don't have a rattle and give no warning. You pick up a tiny pile of debris and there he is. I wear Mechanix gloves and they can't get through them but will hang on and twist around trying to get it in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I saw two more over the last two weeks. Got a pic of one as it tried to hide in a juniper shrub. The other was tiny and got away before I could get a pic.

(still need to upload pic)

5. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

No snakes in Ireland, our St. Patrick took care of that. Quote "Snake: Hi Patrick, how isssssss the converting the pagan people of Ireland going? Patrick: Ahhhh a snake, get the feck out of here or I will turn you all into worms....... Snake: right you are Paddy, come on ladssssss let's hitch a ride with St. Brendan and head to the U.S.A........." That is why you have snakes and we don't.

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

One rainy day last summer I went out to the truck to get something and this guy (green rat snake) was apparently trying to get out of the rain. I'd left the door up and he was hanging on the bottom of the door. Just now imported the pictures from my phone.

0801130900.jpg

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody say snake??

5' Rattle snake i killed on a clearing job two weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You guys can keep those. One good thing about the Upper Midwest, none of that venomous stuff crawling around.

9. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

I saw more than I've ever seen or ever care to see again last summer. Came right up on a copper head on a clean up. Mower got right beside it and it started jumping all around. Glad it did b/c I was walking behind my mower, and probably never would have seen the stupid thing. That and underground yellow jackets/hornets are my biggest fears when doing clean up jobs.

10. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Saw a lot of lizards last season. They were everywhere around the University of Cincinnati campus. Maybe they escaped from the zoo and bred like rabbits?