snakes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the scaper, Mar 16, 2003.

1. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

what are your snake experiences? being in georgia, i tend to see alot of them. most are just the very small ones, though i hear they can sometimes be just as poisen. at the end of last year whilst weedwacking ivy & weeds around an old oak tree, i had three large (30" aprox.) copperheads come out on me. this is a major concern to me, however, working in snake chaps in the hot summer seems a bit unrealistic to me. what are your thoughts? ~the scaper~:eek:

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I chased a 4 foot long copperhead down on my turf tiger, the snake lost.:cry:

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I cut up a few small ones last year while trimming (didn't see them till I hit them). But normally I will go the other way. FAST!

4. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i know i may catch lot of slack on this one, but here it goes. snakes will only become aggressisive unless provoked. granted, running a trimmer over their head WILL provoke them. the best method of dealing with snakes it to avoid them, meaning if you do see them, just back away and they will settle. one should not kill a snake just for being a snake, if it seems to be a big problem in your area, your best bet is to educated yourself about them so yuo can recognize venomous from non-venommous species. in many ways snakes are beneficial, the eat rodents and other pests like small dogs:p . i myself have been taught the proper methods of handling snakes, yes even the posionous ones, though i avoid them. if you or the home owner are concerned about the snake, call animal control, they will remove it for you, that's their job. when people see a snake, the first reaction is to kill it. that's because they are afraid, uneducated, or just don't care or value wildlife/nature in general. some people think it makes them a hero or a tough guy to chop a snake up with a shovel, but really your a wimp if you do that, all it says to someone whom understands them is ' hey look at me, i'm a wuss, i'm so afraid of this snake i think i almost wet myself! ' in our work, we manipulate nature to make it more appealing to our human senses, we do not destroy it. yes, snakes are part of nature, don't destroy them, they are part of nature too. try and manipulate it to go somwhere else. late last summer i was working at a resturaunt and there were somes kid outside ready to beat a snake to death with some ball bats. i went out to see it and it was a five foot black rat snake, well i picked him up and carried him down the street and let him go in the woods. now, i'm not trying to sound like a tree hugger or anything so don't get me wrong, i just have a strong personal opinion on this one...

5. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

my experience is that small snakes can get even smaller and multiply in numbers under the mower

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

A product called SnakeAway is an effective snake repellent to keep them off your property

Doug
    Austreim Lanscaping

7. sorry, I always thought a good one was a dead one. not a popular opinion but thats me.

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

They are all cobras to me. Rattle cobras, garden cobras, copper cobras. Not real fond of them. Usually if you can get rid of thier food supply they will move on to greener pastures.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I'll walk up to any dog and pet them. But when it comes to snakes, I am probably the worst. I can't stand a bird flying around in the house either. I hit the floor automatically.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't like snakes then love Fire Ants they eat snake eggs and have decreased snake population. I find snakes easier to deal with.