Snap edge restraint problems

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zedosix, Jun 14, 2007.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone had the chance to use the new "improved" snap edge yet. I bought a couple of bundles a few weeks ago and am not impressed at all. The quality of this product has gone downhill bigtime. Less thickness on the restraint side, I'd say 30% less. They have now gone to recycled material making the whole thing less sturdy. I am pissed at that, cause we used it to mark out our curves and now its too flimsy for that. Even the installation side of it is horrible. It bends and doesn't stay tight to the brick. Especially when the base is compacted with a diesel vibratory plate. I emailed the co. and got no answer, didn't expect to actually. I have been using this product for probably 8 to 10 yrs now and refuse to buy it again. What are some of you guys using and are you happy with it.

2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

There are A LOT of products out on the market "just because" they can be marketed. They may not always be beneficial or make your life easier. Snap edge is really a plastic injection molding company. They don't have any experience in the paver field. Plastic is made from Petroleum, and we all know how expensive gas has been. They are tightening the belt on resources and producing a cheaper product. We used a plastic edge restraint years ago, that looked like a dinosaur's spine. it was a double edge, edge restraint. Still to this day, I have no idea why anyone would design such a useless piece of junk. With a double edge, 1/2 was tucked under your soldier course, and the other 1/2 towards the lawn. The soldier course was pitched slightly inward and water would never drain off correctly. The pavers were always dirty from sediment not draining. Also, there were no spike holes, only slots to use a flat, stamped steel staple. How do you hammer a flat spike into compacted base without it moving and/or bending? We devised our own method of using 3/8 rebar, 12" spikes and mortar. Our cost per lineal foot was 1/4 of the plastic. Just can't use too much, or growing grass next to the soldier course can be an issue.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

we have always been a long time Snap Edge user.

What I really like about it is we can use it to trace out ANY curve prior to cutting pavers.

But, we changed suppliers and the supplier at the moment does not carry SNAP Edge.

However, they told me that when their current inventory of Beast runs out - they WILL be carrin Snap Edge.

I was excited to hear this.

BUT, if what Zedo is saying, then I may not be so happy :confused:

I hope Zedo doesnt know what he is talkin about, as maybe he isn't 'EdgeRestaint Certified', as I'm sure Chris is :dancing:

4. zedosix

Sorry DVS, not certified in that area.:)

One thing I did forget to mention is that at least I have a use now for my dull snips. The older stuff was so hard you needed sharp snips to cut it. Now I'm sure with a good razor blade you could cut it.

WILL PEOPLE STOP MAKING JUNK PLEASE I AM SO SICK OF EVERYONE CUTTING BACK AND USING THE FREAKIN ENVIRONMENT AS THE REASON FOR IT. THEIR EFFORTS TO REDUCE OVERHEAD HAVE NOT GONE UN-NOTICED!

I feel better now. Have a good day guys.

5. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

HAHA, I remember that edging. I was stratching my head thinking: " Am I supposed to lay this edging down before screeding sand?" I thought I was an idiot, but it like you said these companies are in the plastic biz, not the paver biz. Those flat holes made the edging split of made the soldier course roll.

6. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

No problems with the new stuff here. I did notice a little less rigidity, but not to the extent I'd stop buying the product.

Let me know what you think when you get it DVS.

7. zedosix

I just purchased 10 bundles of last years stock. It will be the last time I buy it.

8. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Zedo is it the new edging that only uses one spike on the joints? I have found problems with it staying tight to the brick. I have to jack the one end with some extra base to keep it tight. Jsut like some othe cheap sh1t that I have used before. Call the number at snapeedge.ca I have spoke to them before.

9. zedosix

Ya, thats the one, it does have a nice locking system but what good is it when the rest of it is flimsy. They must think we are stupid and wouldn't notice. I will find something else to use. I have emailed them with no response and personally if they don't care to respond its their problem. They have no idea how much imput we as consumers have.

10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member