Snap-On Tool Warranty

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stillwater, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Has anyone hear ever had a issue or hassle with the Snap-On Tool Warranty?

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't. I own all snap on boxes and tools and if I have a problem, I call up the dealer and he comes down within a couple hours. Part of why they cost so much..

Are you having problems with it?

3. Stillwater

Kinda sort of.. I don't see a dealer on a regular basis. But I have a master set I kinda got a hassle or rather attitude. He took one of my drivers that had a worn tip and made a backhanded comment. he took a 1/2 inch box wrench and put it over the blade and then clamped it in his vise. He then whacked the handle off with a hammer. He clamped a new blade in the vise and hammered the handle back on the new blade. now I got a driver with a dent in it from the wrench and a dent on the top of the handle from the hammer and a bunch of tinny teeth marks on the new blade. When I got home I went to the snap-on website and read their warranty. Their warranty is extremely long and full of nonsense and it is at their discretion only. I am wondering if Snap-on is slowly,slowly curtailing their replacement policy so no one notices. I am a little wary now about my set and I don't need to tell you what the master set costs. Am I always going to get crap back from the guy? I am hoping it is a isolated incident.

4. Fisher40037

Fisher40037 LawnSite Member

They do get a little testy when a non-regular wants anything replaced.
    They replace screwdiver tips in a similar fashion, but I have never had one
    so rough as to leave marks though. You could contact his local superior
    and talk to him, but do not tread too heavily, it will just make any future dealings problematical.

Fish

5. Stillwater

I emailed Snapon's customer service and they stated Snapon's replacement policy is conditional and at the dealers discretion only. It was just a dam screwdriver, What a bunch of crap... I buy 20 dollar screwdrivers for a reason.

Am I overreacting or is my total dismay justified?

Hey were Snapon buy our 20 dollar screwdrivers and when they need replaceing drop right in for a kick in the nads

6. Fisher40037

Fisher40037 LawnSite Member

Only $20? They must have come down in price. Snap-On dealers are kind
    of franchisees of that product, so they have a lot of leeway in how they
    handle things, and like I said, if you are not a regular customer, they will
    not go out of their way too much for you. Kind of like someone with a
    coupon from an out of town store, trying to use it where it is not honored..

I am in no way defending them, just telling you how it is.
    If you buy a toolbox, then they are your best friend until it is paid off.........

Fish

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That wording has been there for atleast 25 years...Its pretty much up to the dealer as too what he replaces and what he doesnt....if you buy regular then they take broken stuff and replace it with out looking. I cant remember exactly but....the 1st year snap on re imburses the dealer but after that....it comes out of the dealers pocket

wayne

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a good amount of Snap on tools. I don't see my dealer much anymore but I used to see him once every 3-5 weeks. He's been great with getting me stuff or replacing broken sockets or wrenches in 3 cases.

9. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i just had 6 swivel sockets replaced by the snap on man ...no questions asked... and i bought the set off of ebay

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I paid 70 bux for a grease gun off a Snap-on truck first of last year. It never worked right from day one (kept loosing prime every 8 or so pumps).

The driver wouldn't replace it or give me any satisfaction, And I spent quite a bit of money with him as well. He took it and kept it a week and said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Every time I would grab the dang thing all I could get is a few pumps then it would stop. I guess he got tired of hearing me b!tch about it and stopped coming in the shop.

It lost prime for the LAST time, Then went flat lined compliments of a 6 lb. sledge.

I posted a thread asking for recommendations on a new gun and bought a Lincoln from northern tools and it works as well as my 20+ year old Matco gun.

To he!! with Snap-on.....[​IMG]