Snapped a trimmer today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Orrdc, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl, I was banging the head on the ground to release the string and I dont know if I hit it wrong or too hard or what but the shaft bent. I tried to gently bend it back and that didn't work and it cracked all the way through....

Whats the chance this will be covered under warranty, its only a year old

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Slim. You really can't claim metal fatigue. That's physical damage. Lesson learned, when the bump head malfunctions hitting it harder isn't the right answer. A new tube might not be too expensive. You could probably get one off a scrapped unit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Orrdc

yea im not banking on it, but hey maybe my dealer will treat me right. In the past year ive bought a trimmer, blower and Kombi from them, maybe they will cut me some slack!

4. edensgate7

edensgate7 LawnSite Member

wow I have never been able to hit my stihl fs90 trimmer hard enough to do that and I have it it pretty hard sometimes in frustration. what model was yours?

5. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial stuff can have a warranty of as little as 90 days in some cases.

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

That's strange, I was just thinking the other day how on these trimmers everything always breaks except the darn shaft, further if you look on ebay for "parts trimmers" they're always selling trimmers with blown engines and all sorts of other broken crap but the shaft is still good, we also have a load of these things in the shop, most will never run again but guess what is still good, always the shafts, seems we are never short on shafts, always got more and more shafts...
    We just ain't never had one break, we accidentally bump into and drive over them, too.

Granted once bent we found there's not much use in trying to bend it back, yet they still seem to work.

Well...
    You could try and find another shaft on ebay...
    Not sure how much you're in the mood to lay down, watch out for the shipping here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-FS-90R-Shaft-/261049609154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc7c4ebc2

On the other hand it might not be that much to just order a whole new shaft straight up from the dealer, might be worth a quick phone call, I'd expect to pay $40'ish...

Or buy a new one and keep this one for parts, everything but the shaft is good, make sure to wrap the engine in an airtight bag.

Come to think of it maybe I'll go see about selling some of our used trimmer shafts on Ebay...
    Never did cross my mind, I always figured everyone else had the same problem we do lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

The shafts been bent on my trimmer for as long as o can remember, guess shouldn't try to straighten it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Orrdc

Yes dont try to straighten, lol. I got the part for like 40 bucks and its not a tough fix. Could of been worse I guess

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Great, now no more pole vaulting ditches with your trimmer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Orrdc

It seemed like a good idea at the time