Snapper 21" 5hp robins/subaru

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Lawn@Landscapes, Jul 3, 2003.

1. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Anyone have anything to say about a snapper 21" 5hp robins/subaru with a spin on oil filter? My mechanic has a used one for sale for like $200.00. It looks like the most rugged 21" I have ever seen. The oil filter gave me a smile too. The bagger looks new as does the whole unit. He said they sold for a ton new, like $750.00. any comments ?

2. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

I have 2 4hp 2 stroke Robins on 21 snappers and they are great, no major problems at all.
    j

3. If like the ones that my dad bought, my comments are:they stink!

My reasons:
    • the self propel mechanism is hard to engage after turning.
    • doesn't cut that great if blade is dull, blade easily dulls fast.
    • not a good mulcher
    • accidentally bump the front, air filter body is is to crack
    • pinions don't last worth a bean.
    • hit a bounce and everything blows out of the rear basket

The engine on it is reliable and does last.

The old commercial snappers were great except for cutting in wet conditions.

John

4. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

In my town, there are a ton of Snapper dealers...but they never have oil/air filters and sparkplugs in stock for this model...they always have to order them...big pain, I'll never buy another Snapper again.

5. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

I am not familar with the 5hp subaru/Robin but I have a 6hp Robin and it is an awesome engine.......Just started using the ninja balde and wow.....what a great job mulching. It bags really good with the stock blade.

6. jlcare

jlcare LawnSite Member

I don't know about the snapper side of your question, but I have a Husky 600c with a Robin/Subaru 6 hp engine and I have to say that is the quietest,smoothest running engine I have ever dealt with. Oil filters are abit pricey though.

7. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

If it's a self-propelled, I would buy it in a second. Robins are a great engine to put on too.

Goodbeus, if you dealer has a tough time keeping stuff in stock that is a bad dealer not a bad mower. You can compensate by YOU keeping a couple of each popularly used items in your own inventory.

Cutting in wet conditions? I would say they do great. The unique vac deck shape of snapper esp the older models create a great vaucum to pull the blades UP and a great air flow to deliver into the bag. Wet grass, WET leaves- no problemo.

There were a couple years where they went to the Black deck and tried a different bag--- not so good. They still use it in their rear-discharge model--- haven't tried them personally but with a traditional one, there is not need to try anything else.

Hi-vac deck, great rear bagger, able to switch to mulching in 30 seconds....
    When it comes to 21ers-- I LOVE SNAPPER!

:D

8. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have NEVER EVER saw a Snapper that did not do a good job of mulching. Especially once you add the Ninja Blade. And it doesn't dull quick either, although you need a handheld angle grinder to sharpen part of it due to its design.
    $200 sounds like a steal considering you could pay close to that for a Wal-Mart special.:D

9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Years ago i had the commercial snapper 21' with the 4hp Robin, engine was and is still great i gave it to my dad, but it mulched really well, i ran doubles on mine, only drawback is drive mech, i had several problems with, went through alot of( rubber rings,and disc,alot of springs and little things, tranny was problem free, I now use a Proline 21" on 2 accounts around 3/4hr per week, but my dad is still cutting his lawn with the snapper i think its 11yrs old........Marks Mowing Service {ps It cut just as good as my toro}

10. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Green in Idaho, re-read my post...it's not 1 dealer, it's all of them...there's around 50 dealers in the city I live..and it's only for this engine type that parts are hard to get...and you can't predict what repair parts may be needed other than regular maintenance supplies...

A1 Lawn, a dealer told me the reason the parts are hard to come by is this engine has been discontinued...it's a sweet running engine and is very quiet...I've had mine for 4 years now and still runs as good today as the day I bought it...to bad it's on a Snapper frame:mad: