1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper 21" Ninja Mulching Mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking at some 21" mowers and I stopped at a dealership that carries Snapper. I've got no experience with these mowers and wanted to know if anyone has any input on them.

I really like the cupholder :) But of course I just need something with a good cut at a good pace. I got quoted $890 out the door for this mower.

Feel free to plug in your opinions and any other 21" that you might recommend.
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are mainly mulching, then I'd go with either a Exmark or Toro. They do a much better job. If you are mainly bagging, then the Snapper is the better mower. I own all of these mowers and know this from my experiece.
  3. MowHouston

I hardly ever bag. Just mulching. I'll see about visiting a Toro dealer this weekend I guess.
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Snapper does have a deck that is designed for mulching that does very well.
  5. redfox033

redfox033 LawnSite Member

I had a Snapper with the Ninja blade, it mulched pretty good at the slowest speed. If you ran it 3/4 to full speed it wanted to lay the grass over, I don't care about mulching so I just put a normal blade on it and its fine.
  6. tlb9596

tlb9596 LawnSite Member

They're great machines. You're in Houston, so there are a million Snapper dealers, but there are alot that don't stock the machines. You should be able to find them for under $800. How is the dealership? Is it neat and professional, with a good service center? I wouldn't hesitate to pay a little more if the dealership was of better quality (fast, professional service).
  7. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

If you mulch, be sure to get the proper deck. The hivac deck is really terrific for bagging, that is what I do with mine. However, it is very slow, IMO, with the Ninja blade for mulching. Yes, it will mulch, but the hivac deck requires that you run it at a slow ground speed. If you get the mulching deck you can go lots faster, but it doesn't bag nearly as well. I had the same experience with the Honda commercial that had the truned under deck, it would bag wonderfully, mulching was slow. I bought the Snapper to replace the Honda because it is about 30 pounds lighter and so much easier to get on and off the trailer. As a bonus, the Snapper parts are easier to get, cheaper, and it is easier to fix.
  8. MowHouston

The dealership is well maintained and the guy on the sales floor knew the ins and outs of the equipment. Thats what steered my towards that mower. They have both the bagging unit, as well as the mulching unit in stock. They were really friendly compared to other dealers that I have been too. Seems like a lot of them act like they dont even want you there.
  9. MowHouston

Yeah I hardly ever bag. Very rarely in fact. I would be going for the mulching machine. Bagging only comes along on first of the year cleanups.

Thanks for the info.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

What dealer did you go to? I have both snappers and toro and I can tell you that the snapper leaves a flawless cut when bagging but sucks at mulching. The toro on the other hand does both very well. I would reccomend a toro over a snapper anyday.