Snapper 21" Problems Help Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cvlm, May 23, 2006.

1. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

I am currently running 21" Snapper hi-vac mowers with the 6.0 Kawi this is its second season when cutting tall fescue it seems to bog down a little and it leaves a white haze over the turf if you look at the blades of the grass the tips are white and jagged it looks like they are being torn not cut i change my blades every week and the guy that sharpens them for me gets them razor sharp and balanced so i know it not the blades it also does it with a new blade any idea what could be wrong i took it in to my dealer where i bought the mower his mechanics say there is nothing wrong but there not the sharpest tools in the shed so there definitely has to be something wrong why would a 900.00 commercial mower start doing that after one season also last month i bought a new snapper 21with the Honda engine thinking it would have more power it does the same thing and even back fires when you let go of the handle (no blade brake) this thing has been in the shop three times i have mowed with it twice since i bought it they first told me i had to idle it down before i turn it off or it would back fire every time is this right any help with these two problems would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Re: blades

The jagged tips are a clear indication of a dull blade. If you are mowing every day, then you need to replace the blade with a sharp one, perhaps every day. The "razor" edge after sharpening is probably lasting only a short time, an hour or two of use. Only changing one time per week for a heavily used mower seems way too long. I often change every day, or every other day at the longest -- 8-15 hours of use (at the very longest).

As a side note, the bottom row of keys on your keyboard, to the right side, a key resides there with a dot. It is called a period and it is used to end sentences. Using sentences, each with a thought and ending with a period, helps any reader to understand what you are trying to say.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

snappers are good lawn vacumes-not grass cutters. they give the worst cut of any mower i have seen. i only use mine for leaf cleanup.
  4. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

Lawnboy Dan, what 21" mower are you using to cut
  5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

you said it best..... if you want a lawn vacume snapper is the way to go....if you want a grass cutting mower look at anything else besides snapper. I have less then 30 hours on my 21" commercial hi vac 6hp kaw and will continue to have those hours untill leaf clen up time... what a sad sad piece of cr*p mower
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you are trying to mulch? I assume you got the snapper mulch blade on? We use them every day and have this model but we don't cut grass that is tall...southern grasses. Shut the machine off at full throttle, that works on big motors. By the way guys Honda is a much better bagger than snapper and it don't mulch worth a darn either.
  7. cvlm

cvlm LawnSite Member

I am not mulching we bag everything 95% of what we cut is tall fescue about 3.75" tall we we show up each week and we cut it down to 3". The Snapper dealer here told me to idle it down each time before i let go of the handle (turn it off no blade break) and it will not backfire this does not work. By the way do you really think that the honha mower bags better than the snapper i was always told the opposite i am having a tone of trouble getting a nice cut on this tall fescue tips are white and torn and no my blade is not dull i only mow part time and i change the blade every week i only cut 14 yards a week.

CEOAPE LawnSite Member

I'm sure you're putting the blade on correctly and not upside down?
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i am using lawnboys and john deere for grass cutting. the honda is a preimer bagger and the best strickly bagger i have used. i agree they dont mulch that well so i stopped using them. i mostly mulch in summer. snappers also tend to clog on wet tall grass making their lackluster preformance all the worse. if you are mostly bagging-you really need something else. my favorite all around preformer is the john deere jx75. does everything well but is expencive but so is a commercial snapper. if i wanted a mower just for bagging-it would be a honda