Snapper 21" with Briggs 4HP won't run...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, May 5, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, today I was at my first client after School, and I used my 1975? Snapper 21" trim mower to do a small lawn area too big fo my WB's. It did fine on the first client, but as soon as I needed it for the next client, also for a small lawn area, it had a hard time starting, and when it did, it only idled. I ended up using my trimmer to mow the small area. As soon as I throttled up or put load on teh engine it sputtered and died. It won't stay runnung now. I checked spark plug, oil level, and air filter to no avail. Anyone know what might be the problem? The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 4HP model 110902, I beleive it to be from the mid to late '70's. I have a feeling this engine is on it's last legs, though the rest of the mower is in okay condition. Anyone know a place to get a cheap 4 or 5HP engine for it that would fit the mower? Replacement engine model #? Thanks, Matt

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. mkwl

Could you reccomnmend a specific engine model # from small engine warehouse, that would properly fit my Snapper please? Thanks, Matt

4. Restrorob

I may be able to suggest one but I need the type number off the old one and you have to measure the diameter and the length of the crankshaft excluding any blade adapter and from the bottom of the pan near the seal area. Also is this a self propel model or standard push ?

5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Briggs
    try this. like rob said, measure the length and diameter of the crank. then look at the smallenginewarehouse link and figure it out. they are very clear, and if you arent sure, they can tell you exactly what fits. but dont call them until you have the model, type and code from the old engine. its stamped righ on the blower housing. with that info, you cant go worng.

6. mkwl

Rob- It is a Briggs model-11092 Type- 3911-01 Code- 85020404, The Snapper model # is 21401P. It's self propelled. I'm still not sure on the shaft size, since I'm having troubles pulling off the blade and self propell adapter off the shaft. It has three mounting holes/bolts. If you could make a reccomendation, on an engine that'd be great.
    Thanks, Matt

7. Restrorob

OK Matt, After much research I found the number you posted is supposed to be a 110902 and a direct replacement engine is M# 10M902 T# 0015. Small engine warehouse doesn't have this exact number engine but after finding the crankshaft spec. drawing on your old engine I have determined that this engine;
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...al+7+8+x+3+5+32+Shaft+Quattro+for+push+mowers has the same crank dimensions as yours and most all smaller Briggs engines have the same bolt pattern. But it will be up to you to measure and double check the crank size from your old engine to be safe.

I will be sending you a PM with my mailing address so you can send the finders fee. :laugh:

8. Restrorob

It just hit me this morning that most all newer replacement engines are equipped with a flywheel braking system which your old engine does not have so I will explain what to do with that this evening no time now.

9. mkwl

I measured the shaft, and it is 7/8" diameter, by 2-11/16" or 2-3/4" (depending upon accuracy of measure) long with a 5/32" wide keyway. What do I have do do to get rid of the flywheel braking system?:confused: ;)
    Thanks,
    Matt

10. Restrorob

OK Matt, I finally got all my pics. in a row. The part # for the crankshaft in your old engine is 492093, The pic. below shows how I came up with the length. As for the flywheel brake you will need to remove the small cover on the front and the flywheel cover also. Remove the spring on the brake lever and use a piece of coat hanger wire or a 3/32" welding rod and connect it to the arm and pull the pad back away from the flywheel and hook the wire where the cable would mount. Then remove the stop switch and re-mount on the throttle control and re-route and shorten the kill wire to come out from under the cover by the intake manifold and re-hook it to the re-positioned kill switch and you should be in business. You could just remove the whole brake assembly but that would leave no way to re-mount the brake cover thus leaving a big hole in the front of the flywheel cover.

Hope I didn't loose ya.

110902 Crank.JPG

Flywheel Brake.JPG

Throttle Control.JPG