1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper 32 hydro problems.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I purchased a Snapper Pro 32 Hydro this Spring believing it may be a great intermediate "gate mower". One MAJOR problem, despite what my dealer told me, the blades are not offset leaving a line right down the middle of the mower deck. In short grass it is not noticeable but in anything over 3 inches - especially taller St. Augustine and tall weeds it is very noticeable and has to be cut twice. I have had the mower now for 3 months, probably only has 10 hours on it, and have tried changing out the blades 3 times with no luck. Has anyone had luck with bringing a mower back after that period of time, and what is typically dealer reaction? I have no problem with another Snapper line mower - I just feal that the 32 is not commercial quality and has turned out to be a poor design. What do y'all think - and any suggestions?
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Check your deck rake , to much rake in a short bladed machine will do this. I have also seen this with Gator blades. It may be that you are just cutting off too much grass at on pass. The 1/3 cutting rule thing. I have found if cutting 1/2 or more of the blade at one time always requires two passes for a clean cut.
  3. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Had Gators installed before using the mower at all and thought the problem was the Gator Blades - and went back to factory blades with same problem. Only adjustment for deck height is a rear lever - so in tall weeds do say a 36'' with 3 blades have the same issues?
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

This is Normal in Decks w/Poor Overlap in Heavy Growth....If it continues Take it Back.
  5. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I guess not only with the question of has anyone else had this problem with the Ferris/Snapper 32 hydro, secondary question is what kind of a fight am I looking at in exchanging the model for a 36?