Snapper 450Z

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by streblerm, May 23, 2007.

1. streblerm

streblerm LawnSite Member

I've been reading quite a bit here lately and looking at ZTRs in the $5000 range. I've heard loud and clear the advice to wait for used commercial, but

A:I need (want) something now!
    B:I'm tired of fixing stuff (warranty)

The Speedex pretty much made up my mind today as I was rolling backwards down a hill with no brakes. I have literally worked on the tractor thrice as long as I've used it this season. Between fixing and mowing time, I spent 4 hours mowing 2/3 of my two acres. There were a couple of beer breaks in there, but most of the time was productive, really...:)

Unless somebody can talk me out of this one, I think I'm buying it. I like the dealer and they fix EVERYTHING. They are close and friendly.

The model in my sights is a new '06 HZT2148BV. 21hp Vanguard, 48" 7gauge fabricated deck, 7 gauge frame, separate hydro-gear 10A pumps and wheel motors. Snapper has the best financing for my current situation with 90 day no pay followed by a straight up 2% rate. $4999 for the mower

I looked at the Hustlers. The frames may be a little heavier, but it'll cost me another $1600 (fastrak to Z) to get the same hydros, albiet along with a heavier machine. Also the dealer is farther away and seems more sales Vs service oriented.

Scag is not an option. I couldn't even get a second look there. The Toro in the 5K range seems an inferior machine.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this Snapper? I know that $1500 will get me a lot more machine, but I already made the leap from 3-$5000. I can't bring myself to spend no more.

2. streblerm

oh yeah, I forgot to mention. It is the dual stick model, not the joystick.

3. streblerm

Anyone out there?

4. streblerm

I took delivery on Friday. All I can say is WOW, what a machine. I mowed half my lawn, in the rain, in 36 minutes!!! The quality of the cut is excellent.

I really like how it is built. It is a rugged simple machine. I can see where the suspension on the Ferris and simplicity models would come in handy - right around 7mph and faster ;) The suspended simplicities and even the low end Ferris still didn't have the deck that the 450Z has. The 7 gauge deck on the Snapper has got to be the best residential mower deck out there.

I guess only time will tell if the hydros are any good. Hopefully If they aren't, I'll find out while it is still under warranty.

5. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice I just looked it up. I am also in the market for a ZTR. I am looking to spend the same. I have always liked Snappers. I don't like the fact that the 450 comes with a Briggs and Straton. Is there any engine options that you know of??.

6. streblerm

The Briggs Vanguard is a well respected and long lived engine. It is much better than the Intek which I believe has been rebadged as ELS. I think the 450Z only comes with the 21hp Vanguard. There is a world of difference between the Vanguard and other Briggs engines.

If you really don't want a Briggs, the 500 model, which is the entry level in the Snapper Pro line is looks to be the same chassis and deck with a 19hp Kawasaki. I think it was another ~$500

If you step down to the 350Z in the Homeowner line you have your choice of Briggs, Kohler, or Kawasaki. The deck and frame are 10 gauge rather than 7 though. I think the hydros are the same.