Snapper clucth bearing assy appears to be bad

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tmags2, Jul 22, 2006.

1. tmags2

tmags2 LawnSite Member
    from 5

I have a 38" Snapper with a 12 horse briggs that I use for small jobs. The other day I went to engage the blades and they did not engage. The belt is fine; however, I can't get the blades to engage. Someone said it may be the cluch bearing assy. How to I know for sure and what would I do to fix this myself?

Thanks,

Tmags

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, You could start by reading the third thread from the top in this forum and post the model numbers off the unit. Then some can look your unit up and see what clutch system you have and better inform you of a repair without guessing.

3. tmags2

tmags2 LawnSite Member
    from 5

Let's try this again - the Model number is yz13381BE, the Serial number is 85551475 and the Part number is 82532.

4. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

if its like most snapper elec clutches--you can take the assm off--and take it apart--and put a new bearing in it--not from snapper--they want to sell the whole clutch assm--for much dinero--can get the bearing at any bearing supply shop--on mine--clutch was 137.00--baring was 18--took all of 10 minutes to replace it--

5. tmags2

tmags2 LawnSite Member
    from 5

olyman - can you tell me how to take the assm off, apart and then replace the new bearing? Also, where would I get the knew bearing?

Thanks,

tmags

6. Restrorob

Your problem is likely not a bearing, In most cases a bearing will not prevent a clutch from engaging. You should check for voltage at the clutch plug connector under the unit with a multimeter or test light, If voltage is present with the switch on go to post 2 in this thread and try to adjust it;
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=152486

7. tmags2

tmags2 LawnSite Member
    from 5

Restrorob,

Excuse my ignorance; however, where is post 2 in this thread?

Thanks,

Tmags

8. Restrorob

Put your mouse pointer on this writing below;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=152486

left click your mouse and another thread will appear, Then scroll to post 2 the numbers are in the upper most right hand corner. When done you can return to this thread (yours) by clicking ( back ) on the upper left of your screen.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping: for your patience.

10. Restrorob

Thanks Jon, I have nothing better to do. 250 channels on a satellite and not a damn thing worth watching :cry: