1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper clutch/trans issues after engine swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hotrodsnapper, Jul 26, 2006.

1. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

Hello all:
    I have been reading these forums for a couple of months now and have gained a lot of useful insight into the lawncare world; this is my first post so please be patient, and I apologize if this is a little long.

I acquired a snapper rear engine rider (30127BE) a few months ago for next to nothing, and this last weekend I replaced the engine with a 15.5 hp B/S ohv pressure lube engine that has very few hours and runs much better than the original engine. The problem now is that the clutch engages VERY harshly (wheelie in first) and slips in the higher gears:eek: . I carefully measured the position of the disk on the driveshaft (about 4-1/8" below mount plate) so I don't think the gap b/t the disk and the roller is off. What is confusing to me is that the harsh engagement would indicate too much spring tension or the disk mounted too low, while the slipping should logically be caused be the opposite problem.

I have pittled around with the spring position and even moved the disk up and down a little, but to no avail. One thing I noticed when doing this is that the rubber ring around the roller will slide on the roller when the parking brake is set, is that supposed to happen? Never had any kind of problem with the drivetrain up until now.

thanks for bearing with me.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that is supposed to happen, That is the characteristics of the smooth clutch system. Read this thread ;

It has all the adjustments you need to set the drive system up.

Oh [​IMG]
  3. hotrodsnapper

I had read that post befroe the swap, but missed the base-plate to disk distance at 3-3/4". I used 4-1/8. I'll try this tonight. Thanks for the quick response.
  4. hotrodsnapper

I did it last night like the thread said, it now has no problem spinning tires in any gear.

Can I reasonably expect to pull a plug aerator behind this mower? The 15.5 ohv weighs like 100 lbs, but the mower is still pretty light -- Will it get enough traction?