Snapper Comet slipping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williamc633, Aug 2, 2004.

1. williamc633

williamc633 LawnSite Member

I have an old Snapper Comet, don't know the year. Bought it from a guy for $200 and it amazed me for its power, for such an obviously old machine.

Now it is slipping. When I engage the gears to go forward, it works fine a little while, but after a few minutes (after the machine heats up) it starts flagging out and will finally just quit moving forward at all, except very weakly. I have seen some talk on here about rubber disks of some kind...I assume these are part of the drive mechanism for this machine.

Anybody who can tell me what might be the problem here and the part I might need to replace, your kind indulgence would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    WC633

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The friction disc probably needs replacing or adjusting. it is under the engine above the rear axle. The one tto look at is the part that moves back and forth to chang speeds. It's common for these to need atention over time. good luck

3. williamc633

Thanks Paul

I had the machine up on its rear end and had located the friction disk. Now I just need to figure out how it works. Probably just take some fiddling with it to determine if it's worn out or just needs adjusting.

Have a good day.

WCC

4. williamc633

Hey Paul,

Should you check back to this forum and have a moment..could you please give me a hint or two how to determine if the disk needs adjustment vs complete replacement. I can find the part, but I can not figure out how it works.

There is a little clutch pad that fits inside the friction disk, ut I can not see how it engages, or how to adjust.

Any help you can render would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    WCC

5. snapperboy

snapperboy LawnSite Member

ok im the one to ask about snappers i know all about them you need to look and see if the drive disk is worn it should be rounded not all worn and flat if so rplace it ans the pad inside it is just the aux brake im pretty sure get pics of your mower and the drive disk ill tell you what u need to do.

6. Snapperman

Snapperman LawnSite Member

also if the disc is ok check to see if there is any grease, oil or any other abstruction on the disc, if so clean the disc and try out. And if the rubber disc is wearing down too fast you need to sand or replace the metal disc connected to the shaft of the engine. Hope that helps because i too have a comet, but mine is a 1962 comet w/ a kawasaki fb460 12.5 engine i took off a john deere.

7. snapperboy

snapperboy LawnSite Member

there wont be grease on the disk im positive of that the disk is most likley worn down and if n e one wants to buy a 1980 snapper mower 30 inch with no motor tell me on here i live in east tennessee.