1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Commercial mowers, your input.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proline32, Mar 12, 2002.

1. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Ok Guys, with all the rain we had today I thought I'd go around to all the dealerships and check out some new mowers. I was going to just wait and get a new 21" proline and with the 2 cycle engine, but I went to visit the snapper guys today and they were very helpful in showing me thier commercial mowers and they want me to demo some of the different ones for a few days to be sure I am satisfied with them on various lawns and conditions. I really like the design of the drive system and these guys would bend over backward to help me if I have any problems, and give me a loaner if mine broke down, They offer a 2 cycle, 4 horse robin engine or a 5 horse kawasaki, or a 6 horse robin..... These machines are about $200 less than a proline. I am interested in the two cycle engine( be nice to get rid of oil changes) and I beleive that it uses the same mix as trimmers. I also like the hi lift deck or I can switch over to a ninja blade for mulching.

Your opinions please, but no brand bashing. thank you !
  2. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

ninja blade is great but drive system slips after awhile
  3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Will never ever buy a Snapper, and will never reccomend their product.

4. turfnerd

turfnerd LawnSite Member

I totally agree with randosh4, the ninja blade mulches great.

and the self propell belts slip all the time, I would avoid it, if you are using it commercially, makes a great homeowner mower though.
  5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I love the snappers, I have two of the 4cycl. commercial 21's and they have always been good to me. Great cut and durability and always start on the first pull. The bagging system is the best, just be sure to get the side discharge and not the rear becuase the side is stronger for some reason. It has something to do with the deck, but anyway go demo the mower and decide for yourself.
  6. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I have never owned a snapper but that 26 incher with the robin looks nice.
  7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 36" BD WB. Does a very nice job for what it was desighned for- a trimmer mower.

Snappers tend to be a bit less expensive than most but I have not noticed any sacrifice in quality of cut and dependability.

I do not find the Ninja blades to do even a fair job. No way they compare to Gators.

The mulching block on their mowers works fine but I would just purchase that and get a set of high lift Gators.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For a 21" mower, Snapper gives one of the best cuts. I owned several 21" toro self propelled wb's years ago and killed the transmissions. These machines were beasts to push! I will admit, the old 5HP suzuki engines could not be killed!

If you pay for the 21" snapper w/ steel wheels and bearings, the machine is very easy to push. It rolls along effortlessly, so self-propel is not really an issue.

I still own 2 21 snappers (mainly trailer decoration), and my only complaint is that the rear axles get bent by brain dead employees who run into them w/ larger machines.

Good luck
  9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Personally the best commerciaL mower ive purchased in the last 11yrs is a 52' Snapper 16hp Vanguard it cuts great and ive had no major problems,last yr i replaced the spindel bearings and a coil, other than belts and tires and the normal maintaince its been tops. I just bought a new 2002 Scag hydro hope it gives me the yrs my snapper has,also in southern In,snapper sells for the same price as the scags. Ive rate it 9 on the 10 scale,very good walkbehinds. Marks Mowing Service
  10. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i owned one of the z riders and thought it was junk.i have a 21" self propelled that is like new that i bought at a yard sale for $14.00.i always see plenty of them in the trash every spring/fall so i grab a few for parts (gears,belt,setc).i think the "ninja"blade system is a slick marketing ploy for your hard earned cash.they make a gator blade for it now that actually works better and holds up longer.