Snapper Commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMB, Mar 15, 2001.

1. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We're kinda considering the Snapper Commercial self propelled 21" mowers. How good do they mow? Is the disc drive system reliable? (It should be.) What about the engines?

2. igm

igm LawnSite Member

I've used an old model quite a bit. Holding up well after many years. Cut is very good and bags pretty well too. Has the old Robin engine on it. I'm not sure, but the disc drive I think could slip some if it gets wet or crud in there. I think they're pretty good. I use Honda, mow and run great, but heavy as can be and a little bulky.
    I was looking into Toro, but I'll probably stick with the Honda for a while more.

Sam

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 6hp 21" 6sp bagger model .....cuts well ...smooth little worker about 4 years old ...great for islands & small areas ....no big repairs ...pull starter & throttle cable about it

4. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

I have two snapper 21 inch mowers. Both have the Kawasaki 5-hp engines on them. Great machines and I would highly reccomend them to anyone! They have been making this same style machine for eons with little more than a few cosmetic changes! In speaking with a Snapper factory rep, he said,(and I quote) "It is a time proven system that gives no trouble, so if it aint broke, don't fix it." I agree and as a result of the #of years this machine has been on the market, parts are WIDELY available and priced right. Try to find parts for those Honda's at a reasonable cost.(have to go through a dealer or distributor, little or no catalog availibility)

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! Right now we're trying to decide whether to buy a cheapo (MTD, although I hate them :mad: ) to get us through some mowing, or to bite the bullet and pay $800 for a good one. I like the idea of full pressure lubrication w/oil filter on a push mower!

6. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

SMB, we have a Snapper 21 inch 6.5hp Robin, on level ground it's a great mower and like theleven said no major problems . The mower dosen't do well on hills, the disc drive slips.
    The dealer has told me that you will need to keep extra pressure on the up hill side drive wheel, still tough to hold a hill! Overall we are happy with this mower.

Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com