1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Fastback 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aimhigh, May 24, 2004.

1. aimhigh

aimhigh LawnSite Member

I'm new here and seeking advice. I have about 8 acres to mow...1 acre short yard grass and the rest is fescue. I'd like to buy the Snapper Fastback ZTR but I don't see much discussion about Snapper's on this site. Maybe there's a good reason!

Reason for the Snapper? I live in a small town with not much access to dealers. My wife likes the "color" and the joystick on the Snapper. That's probably a good enough reason but I would appreciate some feedback from the professionals.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use all Snapper mowers, mainly as you say, lack of more dealers in the area. That is changing, but I still love my Snappers. They are really underrated as far as all the other commercial mowers go, but are well worth the money and have stayed in service faithfully for over 4 seasons now. I am however, buying a new 48" Stander next week.
  3. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The Snapper joystick models (and a few other brands) used to be built by Shivvers. You can check out their current offerings at www.countryclipper.com For 8 acres, you'd need to be looking at no less than the JAZeeTwo with a 52" deck. For larger decks, see the commercial Charger (starts at around $5500). Good luck!
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure Snapper goes out of its way to market to the industry, but the Fastback looks as though it should hold up well for the kind of use you're talking about. Perhaps the thing to do is to compare the components, such as engine and hydros, to other manufacturers' engines and hydros. If they're using the same items, it's likely a reasonably well-built machine.

Also, if your local dealer is offering only Snappers, you may as well go with it unless there's a compelling reason not to...no point in having to drive a machine 100 miles for warranty service.
  5. aimhigh

aimhigh LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback folks. I've done the comparisons of competing models and to be honest, all the stuff about hydros, spindles, whirlygigs, etc., makes my head spin. All the major brands seem to be about the same....big, fast, powerful, and expensive. I should have been born rich.
  6. themowingguy

themowingguy LawnSite Member

i bought a snapper fastback a few months ago 52" and i really like it.the only thing i would suggest is to by the one with twin sticks instead of the joystick model.the twin sticks are more responsive on hills and ditches than the joystick model.mine does a good job and seems like they are very well built.i liked the setup
    as far as the belts and everything seemed like it would be easy
    to get to to repair if you had a problem after the warranty ran out.
    also if you buy one ask dealer about the program that if you use snapper oil only that you can double the warranty on your motor from 2 years to 4 years.
  7. aimhigh

aimhigh LawnSite Member

I bought the 52" Snapper Fastback with the joystick over the weekend and had to sell tickets to see who got to mow. Fun machine, fast as I want to go and the best part was the enjoyment I got out of watching other people work! I could do that all day.