Snapper/Ferris 32 hydro owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Enforcement, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Lawn Enforcement

Lawn Enforcement LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Looking to hear from anyone who has purchased a Snapper/Ferris 32'' hydro. I have been considering one for a couple of weeks now, and need a little advise. I have a local dealer who will get me in a Snapper version with mulch kit for $2500. I also have a local Gravely dealer willing to put me in a 32 belt for $2300, the Snapper dealer said he would match the $2300 for a beltdrive. I want to know from the guys that have purchased a 32 hydro would you do it again, or do you regret your purchase. This will be my primary mower as the majority of my business is residential lot line homes - just getting into the business and don't want to screw up my initial investment.

Thanks.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you buy a Snapper or Gravely belt driven machine when you can get a Ferris 32" hydro for the same ($2300) amount of money? BTW, Ferris is coming out with a 36" WB this year as well (not sure of the price tag though).

3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I agree with Rodfather. It would be crazy to purchase a belt drive mower for the same price as a hydro. I have a 32" Gravely belt drive. It is a nice mower. However, I'd really like for it to be a hydro.

4. Lawn Enforcement

Lawn Enforcement LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I thought it was better to go eith the hydro as well - but reading posts from some members in here I was beginning to doubt the Snapper hydro. I know that some of the guys in here seem to bash smaller equipment no matter what it is - thats why I was looking for the opinion of someone who has used the mower and not just taken it out for 10 minutes. Thanks.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My firm does work for the largest Ferris distributor in the U.S. I had the chance to demo for a week the 32" hydro prototype a couple of years ago. I liked it a lot. We also demoed the big IS5000 Z prototype too before it hit the market.

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Just Remember the Ferris/Snapper Only has One Pump.....So You Still have to Manhandle and putting it On Slopes & Ditches...even w/the Locking Casters is a Pain. It's Better than a Belt but Vastly Inferior to a unit w/twin Pumps & Wheel Motors.

The Week I had One for Demo...I found the 21"'s were getting Used More Often & it Would Sit.

7. CHEVYCRAIG

CHEVYCRAIG LawnSite Member

Don't forget the 32" hydro is not a zero turn its a single hydro pump driving both wheels, looks like the snapper is the same machine with different handles?

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what fareway said was true. but the guys who made the quick 36 made their machine much lighter than the ferris and snappers. light=easy to turn.
    take a look at them, here's there web site: www.betteroutdoorproducts.com

gary (the owner) really cares about his customers. btw, if your concerned about the warranty on this thing, it's not a problem. I can take the quick 36 to ANY dealer that I want for warranty work. go to their web site and either call gary or send him an E-mail. he will explain the mower in much better detail.

9. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 32" Snapper wb. For me it works great. It fits through gates that a 36" can't. When I cut on a sharp slope it is somewhat diffucult to handle, so I just use my 21" mower on those areas. It's very simple to opperate, and works great for me.
    I would definetly buy one again.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I demoed the Simplicity version of the 32" (only 'cause there's a dealer right near me. Personally, I'd go with the Snapper version myself, just because I like the handles). I didn't get to try it on any hills or slopes, but I can say that on flat ground, there was really no "manhandling" needed.
    It was definitely easier to use then my belt dirve. And since it's about the same price as a belt drive, it's a no brainer. If these were available when I bought my 36" belt drive, I would have definitely gone with one of these for the same money. Plus, it would have fit through gates that my 36" doesn't. It would have saved me from using my 21" on those gated backyards!
    I'm probably going to be selling my 36" and my 21" and getting one of these next season.

The ONLY thing I'm not crazy about, is the overall length. The handlebars are really long and sloped back, making it a long machine. Since trailer space is often an issue for many, it's too bad they couldn't design it to be shorter, and more upright.
    I'm not sure, but I think the Snapper might be a tiny bit shorter just because of the design of the loop handles.