Snapper Hi-vac Quiestion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by METRO 36, Apr 28, 2006.

1. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

For all you guys running a snapper hi-vac

the one i have has the feature where you can release the handle and the motor will stay running while you empty the bag. The only problem is most of the time when i try to do this the engine will die, the other half the time when i try to kill the engine by releaseing the handle it keeps running?:hammerhead:

If tried letting the handle go fast, releaseing it slow,etc.
    But it only works for me half of the time anyone have any experince with this or suggestions. I dont us the 21 much but when i do its handy not to have to kill the mower when i dump the bag or to move a rock,waterhose,paper,toys,etc.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I use one of those Carabiner clips to hold the handle back while I empty the bag.Clip on..unclip and go.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't aware that snapper had any feature that stops the blade and lets the engine run?? All the snappers I have has a kill bar that stops the engine when you leave it go???

4. sheshovel

Yea mine won't do that,you release the handle..it shuts off..thats what the handle is for.

5. METRO 36

im pretty sure mine has that feature? but i cant find my owners manuel, but im looking ill get back to you on that one. but i could be wrong,lord knows that wouldnt be a first.lol

the caribiner idea is great though, thank you she shovel.

6. sheshovel

Yer welcome..............

7. METRO 36

i found my manuel and didnt se anything in there leading to the fact that this mower had that option, but i could have swore it did, maybe its just flash backs from the toro days. 50 percent of the time i can drop the handle and the mower will stay running, so maybe its not a option maybe my mower is just broke. It doesnt bother me any i like the broken option its working good for me.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Your cable going to the engine kill and brake is binding somewhere and not allowing it to slide all the way. What's bad is that the brake that runs against the flywheel may be hitting it when you release the lever, but its not moved quite far enough to hit the ignition ground.

Does the engine sound like it's lugging some when you release the lever?

On snappers, it's NOT a good idea to leave them running to empty the catcher as the blade WILL throw grass, rocks, sticks, whatever, out of the chute once you remove the bag. Not to mention what can happen if you "forget" it's running and you reach in to clear a clog...

9. METRO 36

it i doesnt lug at all when this happens and i idle the engine all the way down wheni dump the bag(before i take it off) but it still make me nervous, but usally i just let it sit when im opening a gate or moveing something. After hearing this ill probaly run to my dealor this comeing week