snapper hydro walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cwsourceone, Oct 7, 2003.

1. cwsourceone

cwsourceone LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying a 36" walkbehind and found a 36 inch snapper 17 hp hydro floating deck for $4,000 dollars. The mower is only 3 months old. any thoughts this is my first mower.

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have one, but mine has the 14 hp kaw. on it and I have been more than pleased with it. I bought mine used in 2001. The only thing I have had to do to mine is I had to replace the magneto and keep the carb. clean. I have a friend that has a toro 36" belt drive and my snapper will out mow it in terms of speed.

One other thing that I like about the snapper is that for mulching they simply put a plate over the discharge opening and your mulching, instead of like my toro z rider it has baffles. Snappers way you can take the plate off when you need to and blow the clippings. I also use the ninja mulching blades. I think that they are good blades but not everybody agrees.

Price I don't know if that is a good price I only know what I paid for mine. Good luck.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Great machine. I have a snapper 48" hydro form 96' and it works great. It has loop steering and I couldn't be any happier. Good luck, if you have any questions call me @ (303)523-LEWN (5396) Or email me @ --- lawncare3@aol.com

4. T.E.

One thing that I forgot is the floating deck adjusters need to be kept lubricated or they will get to where you can't raise or lower the deck, and they aren't cheap to replace.

5. cwsourceone

Thanks for the advice.

one thing i forgot to mention before b/c i was in a hurry is that i have been looking at a new 36" exmark metro hp and i am not sure weather i should go with the new belt drive or the used snapper hydro. Any suggestions.

Thanks Again

6. cwsourceone

one more thing.

What is the quality of cut, and the realiablilty of the snapper over the exmark

7. T.E.

Can't answer the question as comparing the two don't know anything about the exmark I will say this "if the snapper is what it is said to be " I would take hydro over belt drive any day of the week!

My snapper has been very dependable and cuts good too.

8. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Is this a used mower? How many hours? I think $4000 is WAY over priced for that mower, especially if it's used.

I run a 52" hydro, 23hp w/elec start Snapper WB and love it.

Joel B.

9. cwsourceone

The snapper is used. It is said to be 3 months old although I have not looked at it yet.

Anyone know what a new snapper 36 inch with floating deck and 17 hp kawasaki engine would go for and what you would consider a good price if it is in perfect shape.

Thanks for the good advice :)

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I had the option of buying a new 48 inch hydro float with 17 for 3800. NEW. Offer them 3500.00