snapper, john deere equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajy, Jul 10, 2001.

1. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

i have a snapper dealer that gives me good service right now. i'm thinking about changing from john deere to snapper is this a good move. i like the robin commercial trimmers and blowers but i'm not sure about the walk behinds. i do have a snapper 21' commercial mower powered by a robin engine and it cuts great. all i read about and see is toro, exmark, hustler, dixie, scag. are all these brands better than snapper? are these brands better than john deere?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome To Lawnsite!!!!
    I Myself Don't Have Any Experience With Any Of The Brands You Mentioned, But I Am Interested In The Overall Quality Of The 21"'s Made By Deere,Snapper,Toro,&eXmark

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Snappers are good units, you may have to replace a few parts more often then other brands. However these parts are fairly inexpensive and easy to change your self(rubber drive ring). The thing I liked as a mechanic is that they are easy to work on(less labor costs) and the unit is completely rebuildable. When the steel deck wears out you can replace it and with other parts have a new mower again. Prefer the steel deck over cast alloy decks, cast alloy decks are normally to expensive to replace, cheaper to buy a new mower usually.

4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

As far as commerical walkbehinds i have a 1993 Snapper 52" Hydro Walkbehind that has been the best machine ive ever owned. Ive got close to 5000hrs on this machine,it has the 16hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin and i have never had any engine problems i repeat never. Ive replaced i belt, tires and one regulator for the pto switch. I run doubles and it stripes great.You wont go wrong with Snapper Commerical Equipment. Marks Mowing Service

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper dealer I know said that Snapper is coming out with a bunch of redesigned models next year. You might want to hold off buying a Snapper till you've had a look at next years models. ED

6. turfstar2000

turfstar2000 LawnSite Member

I don't think that is a wise choice. I am not saying that Deere is the best, but between the two I would take the steel of the Deere over a Snapper.

I just have a hard time looking at their equipment as serious commercial equipment. The controls are sloppy on their w/b and the ztr's are sketchy.

I think with Deere buying Dane they will become a major player in the commercial lines. However with all the premium lines out there, I would think long and hard before buying a mower with a turtle on it.

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Morning All, have some experience with both manufacturers- the older JDs (WB) sound like a Harley Davidson cranking up! Fun to mow with. The 655 ztr has some problems. Used it for three months and was not impressed enouph to buy one when I started my own business. Belts kept coming off, uneven cuts, brakes not dependable, handles not secured tightly on the mower. Have been using a 36' Snapper wb for about 6 weeks now. Once I got used to everything it performed well. The Snapper dealership is very strong in Tallahassee as is the JD dealership. FYI there is an Exmark dealership in Tallahassee as well but their reputation on price gouging and overall integrity is some what shaky. The Snapper dealership seels and services their equipment like a pancake house! Fast and lots of them.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

8. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

9. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

I ese Jd JS60's they are the model with the 6 hp briggs but they have been true work horses for me i also heatr that the top of the line JX 85 with the 6.5 hp kawisaki just keeps going and going. I have always been satisfied with the service also.

10. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Not sure about the Snapper WB's but trust me when I say to STAY AWAY from thier ZTR's! I had a Snapper Yard Cruiser ZTR and I think you'd be better off with a Crapsman. It has no traction, cuts awful and is a very slow owing machine. I have heard alot of good things about the Snapper WB's oh so they might be okay. As far as ZTR's go I'd stick with eiter; Dixie Choppers, Exmarks,Scags or Grasshoppers. Best of luck.