Snapper Mower Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Goodfellaz, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Goodfellaz

Goodfellaz LawnSite Member

OK, got a random problem here... I have a Snapper push mower that wasn't starting. After removing the spark plug, i found out that the curved prong had broken off inside the cylinder. Seemed as if the plug had been defective and the prong was metal-fatigued. Anyway, got a new spark plug, but not sure what to do about the prong floating around in the cylinder. Will it potentially block the intake/exhaust? If anyone can let me know if/how I have to get the prong out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Pull the head thats what i can think of

3. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If you don't don't want to pull the head, maybe some type of magnet on a string dropped in the spark plug hole. Face the engine spark plug hole up. If the engine was running when the piece fell off, you might want to pull the head anyway to inspect for damage. You might need to replace the head gasket & there is a special sequence to use to torque the head bolts.

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I wouldn't run it until that piece is removed! Eventhough it's small it'll score the cylinder walls because it'll likely get lodged between the piston above the rings and lead to big problems later, if not sooner. You could try turning the mower on whatever side the plug is and shake it out, or a small magnet on one of those extension type handles. (Mine is about 1/2 inch wide, would fit thru hole) May be lucky enough to pick it out that way. If that don't work, the head will probably have to come off.

5. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

I would say if you have tried to start it that it has been blown out the muffler. I would pull the head though I have seen screws from carb. throttles stuck in the head or piston and under valves . Sometimes they get hung in the muffler you can hear them rattle when its running. If its under a valve pull it and reseat it because if it has a small nick it will burn the seat