1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

snapper mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn masters 2006, Jan 10, 2006.

1. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

a havent seen anyone talk about snapper mowers.i have hydro 48 snapper w a floatin deck...also just bought a 2006 snapper zero turn,also a 48 deck floater....has any one used these brands?
    also any info on briggs an stration vanguard moters?
  2. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

I have a 61 inch Snapper Hydro W/B. I use the Ninja blades and the mulch plate. It does a great job and I love it.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We thought about a 48 cut walk behind,no electric start.
  4. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have 7 snapper hydros from 48" to 52". They have been pretty good reliable mowers but I dont think they cut as good as my Husquvarna's that I got last year
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't own the snappers, but I like them.
    They are putting out some nice stuff that seems to just be getting better.
    I like the Pro 61" ZTR best.

Wow, you must have been lucky enough to get some with straight decks. They can be good cutters if you find some. There stuff is not reliable though and the customer support goes no farther than your local dealer. This company makes John Deere's new lawnsite reputation look good. Been through it.

Needless to say, I WILL NEVER buy another new mower from them EVER! Not unless someone takes them over and restructures the whole operation.

But I was eyeballing a 52" floater with ETS controls and a proslide that I found in a bone yard yesterday. I didn't even have to ask what was wrong with it. Hydro problems. The pumps and motors they use are good brand names. But they can't consistantly use them to put together a trouble free system to save their life. There is more to it than just using brand name pumps and motors. The systems cavitate, loose response, overheat and spew hydro fluid out of the reserviors. Eventually they tank. This one has already failed or is right on the verge. I knew as soon as I laid eyes on it. Evidence of oil spewing from the reservior everywhere.

If it proves to have a straight deck and the rest is in good working order.... if I can absolutely get a STEAL... I might buy it, scrap the entire drive system and start all over from the ground up with my own re-designed drive system.

It's a really low hour machine that could make a good winter project if I can snag it for junk price.