1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by recliner10, Oct 27, 2000.

1. recliner10

recliner10 LawnSite Member

Anyone know how well Snapper mowers stand up to other mowers like Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Toro, Grasshopper, etc.? I don't see many posts about Snappers, just wanted to know before I buy. Leaning toward 18hp-23hp with 48" to 52" deck,( ztr ).Thanks Terp
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

First off, welcome to LawnSite.com.
    It didn't look like anybody was going to reply your post, so I will give it a shot. The last 4 mowers you mentioned are probably the best 4 in the commercial line. You just don't have them in the right order though. :)

I don't personally feel the Snapper would hold up to any of the 4 that you mentioned or there would be a lot more Snapper owners on this forum. I do not see any commercial mowing companies around here using them. Snapper has been around for years and I think they cater to residential buyers mostly.
  3. Marquis Lawn

Marquis Lawn LawnSite Member

We've used Exmark, Toro and Snapper. I think the Snapper is a great product. We use hydro mowers and I like them better than the other two. Just as tough, and the steering is easier IMO. I like the height adjustments better too, it's really fast. Not only that, but price them in comparison, I saved over $1000 buying our last Snapper vs. Toro on the same size. Much better value I think.

Now about riders...You better get a Chopper!
  4. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

All of our walkbehinds are Snapper Hydros 36,48,52 all are holding up great! Snapper has a very good cut and very ease to handle plus a full 2 year warranty.

Good Luck!
  5. recliner10

recliner10 LawnSite Member

Just tried out the Snapper Turf Cruiser, that joystick is really sweet, but went back and looked at the Exmark Laser HP, I'm leaning toward the Exmark HP even though that joystick was nice. Anyone ever tried one with joystick? Thanks Terp
  6. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Snapper WB 48" deck and a 14hp Kawasaki. It's not hydro but works well for me. All my cutting is done on flat land (south). Works well with the bagger as well as the Ninja blades..............
  7. Eric ELM

I have run back hoes and loaders with one stick and two sticks. The one stick is nicer. I haven't used a joystick type control on a ztr though. Can you go as straight with that one as you can with a machine that has two levers?
  8. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Although I drove one for a few minutes at a dealer, it wasn't enough to judge. I did read a review of a test of several ZTRs and none of the reviewers liked the joystick. They all felt it was more difficult to drive a straight line. That kind of makes sense, since with the double levers, just lining them up (assuming they're adjusted properly) should drive straight, but it's difficult to tell which is 'straight ahead' with the joystick. Of course, the Snapper mid-mount Pro Cruiser can be fitted with the double levers, if that's all that's holding you back. The Snapper commercial units seem to be very well constructed, with field replaceable spindle bearings and a nice lift mechanism. Also, finding a dealer shouldn't be a problem.

A question I have for the more experienced has to do with the front axle. Most of the mid-mounts and all of the front mounts (that I've seen) have solid front axles, whereby the Snapper has a pivoting one. I think the Grainger axle also pivots. It sure seems like this would make for a more comfortable ride. On the other hand, the solid axle units seem to be more popular. Any comments?
  9. Eric ELM

The Lesco and MTD Pro both have the pivoting front axel too, but you can also lock them so they are rigid. I did demo one, but I never unlocked it. So I'm no help on that one. It would be more like a riding tractor then as far as the ride goes, not much difference. I think where you would notice the difference is in the cut. I'm not sure if it would make it better or worse. If it is better, why did MTD and Lesco Viper have the option to lock it solid?

BTW, I wasn't impressed by the Viper Demo.
  10. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

A friend told me that one possible advantage of a solid front axle is the possibility of 'hanging' one wheel out over a curb. He certainly isn't a professional mower, but he did test nearly every commercial mower available in the Wichita, KS area (John Deere, Toro, Walker, Snapper, Grasshopper, Exmark, Hustler and Grainger). Several of the dealers brought demos to his place (about 10 acres) for field testing. He finally settled on a Grainger, partly because of cost ($7400 for a 6', 25 HP model), but even more so because he felt not only was the ride more comfortable, but it also tracked better when he mowed his dam. He thought having all 4 wheels on the ground at all times was part of the reason. Don't know if he's right or not, but it's something to think about.