Snapper OPC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

A little help guys.

Ok I bought a used Snapper 36". All of a sudden the OPC is not working properly. The mower will not start or run unless the OPC is engaged. It should and was working properly when I first got it.
    Basically if the mower is in neutral it should start and run. At this point I have to bungy the OPC to start or idle.

So what could be wrong what am I looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Actually what I meant to say is I have a naked PITA customer that is not paying. Should I sue or just scream at him in front of other customers. Oh and how to I pay my illegal alien help legally

Thanks for all the help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have a bad switch somewhere.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it the loop grip?
    Is it the OPC or the Neutral lock? the switches can wear out over time or can come loose. the connections could be dirty or loose.
    It could be the Neutral lock isn't holding the levers far enough back to engage the Opc for them. Try pulling the tracking lever back to start and see if that helps. ONe bad switch in the system can throw it all off.
    Good luck.

5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Thanks Paul and Ray
    I'll double check all the connections and try pulling the tracking all the way back.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember when I ran Snappers for another LCO that the Neutral lock would were out. One helper was closing a gate and the mower took off and ran into the neighbors house. because the other OPCs weren't working properly. OOPS!
    It sounds like you might have a switch problem.

One thing we did when they got bad and were waiting for a new switch, was make a lop of wire or string that would hole the opc bar up but was loose enough to slide to the side. I would slide it to the side when mowing so the mower would kill if I let go but would slide it up so hold the opc when I would dump the bag or whatever. Just be sure that the lock is working or you pull the speed lever back if you do this.

In the two seasons I worked for him, it seemed that one of the three machines always had OPC problems.
    Overall they are good mowers though.