1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper or Deere?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by full throttle, Jun 28, 2005.

1. full throttle

full throttle LawnSite Member

Which would you guys call a better, tougher mower? I have located a Snapper with a 21hp Kawasaki and a 52" deck and a John Deere 727 with a 23hp Kawasaki and a 54" deck. Which would last longer? How tough are the decks on the Deere mowers?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard much bad around here about John Deere but plenty of compaints about snapper.
  3. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

Go For The Deer , Snapper Has A Pretty Good Walk Behind
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 737 and did have a 717. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. You see my deere on the trailor a whole lot more than the Exmark lazer z. I have had no trouble with the decks and these machines with a mulch kit is better than bagging! Leaves a fantastic cut. This board is pro-exmark but not if you ask me. Have you demoed one yet? BTW, we have one lco who runs Snapper and he says they are just ok.
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 727A it nevers stops and does a great job for me. Great cut and striping.
  6. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

If you ask me neither!, John Deere stuff is too overpriced and I'm not sure the Snapper would hold up well. I would go with a Kubota ZD18 w/54" deck. Awesome deck, engine, and just overall machine. The deck is shaft driven, so no dealing with a maze of belts and that means better overall power disribution. It is a diesal powered critter so that means a higher upfront cost, but you save money with it's awesome fuel comsumption rate payup Also the frame is constructed super well. I have use the ZD series in my current work mowing our towns airport. I swear by these machines, go orange not green :p
  7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

NO doubt DEERE all the way!!!!!!!!!!! You buy one and you will find out!
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Bought the Snapper Fastback Pro last season. 52" cut, 21hp Kaw, twin stick model. Would add another one in a heartbeat. I demo'd the Deere, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, and Snapper...kept going back to the Snapper and glad I did. The twin stick model is in it's third year on the market, so don't let the nay-sayers get you down on the model. Ask them if they've demo'd it or had one before taking their word.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the Snapper is a very good machine. 7 gauge frame, deck, tough unit that mows just as good as the so called top machines, if not better then some.

9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

10. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

1100 hrs on mine w/original belts. Hydro/pump units are integral on mine and use separate reservors. Single joystick is a "joy" to use. Can pull the deck off and put a snowblower or blade on.

Trims closer and easier than my new CC which hangs on a sidehill like stink-on-S***!