Snapper Pro 21"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Nov 20, 2006.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I am kinda sorta halfway in the market for a new commercial 21inch for next season (actually about mid-season next year). Are the Snapper Pro 21s any good? I like the style of the bag on them vs. the Exmark/Toro bag. I DO NOT want a POS JD that will need a new transmission in a year. I guess my three choices are SnapperPro, Gravely and Aierns. What is the best of these three?

It likely will not be getting a lot of use, maybe 15 mins/day, but I want a good one that will last me a real long time.

2. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I know you said you don't like the Toro, I stopped using the Snapper because it did not pick up the wet grass as good as the Toro. On the Snapper that long shoot between the mower and the bag would get plugged and I would have to stop and unplug it, not fun.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I never thought of that. I guess I could get used to the Exmark bag. I wouldnt mind having a Exmark metro 21 with the Kawi and BBC. Everyone think this would be a better choice? One major positive of the Exmark over the others is the fact that I have a dealer 5 miles away vs. 45 for the others.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the snapper you are refering to IS NOT THE COMMERCIAL UNIT....

the commercial unit has a bag attached on the rear and there is NO side discharge..

we have run the COMMERCIAL snappers for almost 10 years not and like them a lot.
    we tried the john deere jk75, and it fell apart in a year.

the snappers we buy are about $850/unit.
    I really like the one lever height adjustment. all the wheels adjust together. We have had problems with employees not having all the wheels on the same notch when they can be adjusted independantly.
    It also has a blade brake clutch so the unit can be driven without the blades spinning.
    the only issue we have with them is that the drivve "clutch" needs maintenance. There is a sliding bar and cog system behing each wheel that lets the wheel be driven forward, but will let one wheel roll backwards when truning around. the sliding bar needs to be lubricated a few times per season.

The other issue we have is the operator presence cables are not very well made.. keep a few in stock.

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Snapper makes the best 21s out there, even their residential stuff is awesome, or was a few years ago. I don't think they've changed much, and that is one of the reasons Snapper is the way to go!

6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

As he said snappers where the way to go years ago. Hopefully you have a good dealer and they will let you know you do not want a snapper for commercial use this years models are junk both of ours have been in the shop at least twice this season and they are only used 3-4 times a week.Stay away from the snapper oh yeah and take a look at the john deere and the snapper odd how they resemble each other so much. It's because they are made in the same factory and both are junk.

7. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Yard pro what model snapper do yall use???

8. Nature-Ally

Nature-Ally LawnSite Member

I bought a Snapper Pro 21" Recycling Ninja Mulcher this past February as my primary mower. It has been a great machine and has cut a lot of grass this past year. I really like the drive mechanism because it is easy to work on and very simple. The ninja blade that comes with the mower, in my opinion, is not the greatest. I plan to try some gator blades next year. The 6hp Kawasaki engine was great and rarly did it bog down. I didn't mow much wet grass, but when it was damp, the mower did just fine. I would definately purchase another Snapper. I paid $695 for mine, tne added the chute, bag and recycling blade for $866 including the tax.

9. Hansen1784

Hansen1784 LawnSite Member
    from Renton

Don't know anything about those mowers but I'm real happy with my Honda Commercial mower.

10. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a snapper this year and it has to be the worst hunk of cr*p I have ever mowed with. A huge waste of money