Snapper Pro Hydro WB question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Nov 8, 2001.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Snapper 48" Pro Hydro with a 23 HP Kohler. It leaves divots on almost every turn no matter how I use it. I thought I would get used to the feel of the mower, but have not. I have lightened the spring tension, per Snapper rep's advice. I believe the problem is that the machine offers no indication of when you are going from forward to reverse (unlike Scag, ExM, etc.) - the tension on the loop control remains the same throughout the entire movement. Any suggestions, besides selling it (which is my plan)?

Ray
    Nature-Scape, Inc.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Can you make the pivot wheel turn backwards while the other wheel goes forward?

3. naturescape

65hoss,

Yes, but the machine is so touchy, it will leave a divot on the left or right side anyway.

4. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

the tension on the loop control remains the same throughout the entire movement. Any suggestions, besides selling it (which is my plan)?

Some people (me included) consider this one of the nicest features of the loop steering. Absolutly SMOOTH controls. How long have you had this machine? I have a 52" and a 36" hydro, and have not had those problems. Just swing yur turn a little wider, and if that does not work, as Hoss points out, back the inside wheel up while the outside wheel goes forward. If both wheels are turning it should take care of the problem.

5. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I'm experiencing the same problem. Figured that being a rookie behind a big WB was the problem and that time (experience) will solve the problem. 65hoss is right. One wheel stopped and pivoting is causing the problem. I have found that pulling back and reversing the inside wheel or a wider, gentle turn where the inside wheel has some movement minimizes the problem. I'm open to othe solutions. BTW - What type of sulky are you using?

6. naturescape

BTW - What type of sulky are you using?

I'm using a Proslide, which I basically like very much. I'm wondering if the Proslide is not very compatible with the 48" Snapper. I am using the extension Proslide recommends with that mower.

I have used the Proslide on a ancient Scag hydro, with Absolutely No Divots when used at a reasonable speed. Also, I have a 36 Snapper hydro w/Proslide that turns much better. My problem is mainly with my 48 Snapper.

It seems that if the 48" Snapper hydro had more traction over the rear wheels it would not leave a divot. I use counter-rotation turning when using the mower, but the wheel(s) often just spin, leaving a divot. Different tires make little difference.

7. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Naturescape- I use a Proslide on my 52" without any probs. I wonder if the 48" is any different. What type extension are you using? I just bolted the bracket right to my frame, no extension. Also, do have to use any weights on the front of the machine to keep it from riding up (the 36" machine I am mainly wondering about)? What size motor does the 48" run? My 52" has a 17hp Kawasaki. I am just trying to figure out why the 48" is different from your 36" and my 52". We have all winter to try and figure this one out-LOL

8. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Naturescapes how long have you had the 48"?

9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Iam lost what is making the divets the sulkie if so i use jungle wheels and have never made a mark.

10. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

not the sulky, the tires make the divot if your turn it to hard.