Lawn Care Forum banner

Snapper pro S200xt. Which engine to get??

18K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  BCFLawnLandscape 
#1 ·
I have a few large yards I cut with an older Exmark. I could add a few more, but I need an upgrade before I do. A local dealer has bought out the inventory of another that went belly up and I can get a brand new s200xt 61" for $6800 out the door price. I think that's a steal and I'm going to bite the bullet and get one. I can get either a 26 hp Kawasaki or a 32 HP vanguard b&s. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have lurked around here awhile and finally decided to joins

#5 ·
Thanks. I just cant help but be a bit hesitant about a briggs. And the Kawisaki has a 3 yr warranty as opposed to a 2 yr on the briggs
The Vanguard is a B&S in name only. They are made in Japan by Diahatsu in a factory that B&S partnered with them in building. Diahatsu is owned by Toyota. Because they partnered with B&S in building the factory, B&S is the US distributor. If you do a search on this forum for threads on the Vanguard, you won't find very many people bad mouthing them, if any. They are highly regarded by those in this business that use them. They are as good an engine as anything made today, and the extra 6 ponies will make your Z much more capable.

Like I said, I'm a Kawi fan, and have been for a looong time, but if I could have got the Vanguard instead of the Kawi on my Z950, I would have in a heartbeat.

#9 ·
cool! I'm getting a new big ole lawn mower! I don't know near as much as you guys about these mowers, but I am mechanically inclined, and just looking over the machine, it seems built like a tank. It looks really good. I can't help but think it is a quality product. I've never really heard a lot abt snapper pro but it looks comparable to some of the more popular brands. Dang, I'm actually excited about getting it, even though I won't get to use it much til next season. Thanks for the input

#14 ·
'zat mower have HG ZT 5400 pumps...and suspension seat?

I think it does but can't remember. I ran a demo this past spring.

Nice and comfy, stabil on hills.
Didn't care for the cut on heavy dew, er.. wet grass. Stripes well,
could benefit from G6 blades.

good unit/W either vanguard or Kawi,
Better warranty with vanguard, no? = no brainer.

#16 ·
Well Im going to pick it up as i type this. Going with the Vanguard. Hope I dont regret it
I doubt you will regret it for a minute. Is there the possibility of getting a bad one- yea, sure, but that goes for any brand. Day in, day out, you simply hear less about a bad BB Vanguard than other brands. You'll be happy with the power too. The 26 Kawi may do better on fuel, but then again it may not depending on the turf conditions. For sure it would have to work a lot harder to do the same work, and that does nothing good for engine longevity. I came very close to buying that same exact mower 2 years ago, but the dealer was 50+ miles from me, and that just doesn't work for me.

Post some pics of it when you get it, and congrats!

#17 ·
Well Im going to pick it up as i type this. Going with the Vanguard. Hope I dont regret it
My oldest one I sold to a friend to mow his personal lawn is still going strong. The meter broke with 2600 showing last year. You won't regret it. It was a poor desicion for Dahatsu to market the engine under the b&s name. No tellin how many more they would have sold by now had they put a different name on it. The word has spread now though and my dealer sells more with the vg than Kohler or Kawi the last couple of years.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
Well.... I ended up getting the Kawasaki. From talking to you guys I would have rather had the vanguard, but somehow talking to the dealer I must have misunderstood what he had available at that price. The vanguard powered mowers he had in stock were from his inventory, not the one he bought out from the bankrupt dealer, so the price on them was WAY higher than I could get the Kawasaki for. $6800 out the door with 0% financing for 54 months is still a great deal and really fit what I felt I could justify spending on the mowing side of my business as of now.

I was a bit disappointed not getting the 32hp...until I went and cut about 2 acres with it. Man, this is a way better machine than I ever thought could be had new for the price I paid. It's built like a tank and has plenty of power. It handles well and the cut quality is as good as any. I'm happy as can be. I'll really get to let it eat in a couple of days on 10 or so flat acres of centipede and I'm not going to dred that yard this week. Thanks for all the help folks

#21 ·
Well.... I ended up getting the Kawasaki. From talking to you guys I would have rather had the vanguard, but somehow talking to the dealer I must have misunderstood what he had available at that price. The vanguard powered mowers he had in stock were from his inventory, not the one he bought out from the bankrupt dealer, so the price on them was WAY higher than I could get the Kawasaki for. $6800 out the door with 0% financing for 54 months is still a great deal and really fit what I felt I could justify spending on the mowing side of my business as of now.

I was a bit disappointed not getting the 32hp...until I went and cut about 2 acres with it. Man, this is a way better machine than I ever thought could be had new for the price I paid. It's built like a tank and has plenty of power. It handles well and the cut quality is as good as any. I'm happy as can be. I'll really get to let it eat in a couple of days on 10 or so flat acres of centipede and I'm not going to dred that yard this week. Thanks for all the help folks
Wow, 0% for 54?! Great deal. Best I heard was 50, which is crazy too. I tell ya, with the financing you can get these days, why pay cash?
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
No kidding. I really didn't know I could have a mower this nice without coughing up a least a little cash. The economy is crazy. Hardly anybody can get money to buy a home but hey if you want a $10,000 lawn mower, just sign right here lol
Well, the 0% stuff requires excellent credit. Subpar credit means no 0%. But yes, if you have great credit, there is great financing out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
I'm not so sure it even takes great credit. I can't personally see any reason to pay cash. The mower is going to take a number of years to pay for itself, why would I want to take the money out of the bank to pay for it all at once? I mean, that's the manufacturer subsidizing the purchase. It's like a rebate that you are leaving on the table by paying cash.

In 1993 I had 50% to put down on a new mower and was turned down. I think the rate was somewhere in the neighborhood of 15%. My, how things have changed.

#25 ·
I'm not so sure it even takes great credit. I can't personally see any reason to pay cash. The mower is going to take a number of years to pay for itself, why would I want to take the money out of the bank to pay for it all at once? I mean, that's the manufacturer subsidizing the purchase. It's like a rebate that you are leaving on the table by paying cash.

In 1993 I had 50% to put down on a new mower and was turned down. I think the rate was somewhere in the neighborhood of 15%. My, how things have changed.
I believe you need over a 700, but I'm not saying that's 100% fact. I agree, why dump cash when you can get financing for 4 years. Puts you on a new machine with small monthly payments.
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.