1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Pro s50xt 36 vs gravely compact pro 34

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jermedic, May 27, 2013.

1. jermedic

jermedic LawnSite Member

Hi guys, opinions on these two units? I notice the gravely compact pro 34 has 10 cc hydrogear pumps with 12 CI wheel motors whereas the s50xt has ZT-3100 transmissions? It seems the gravely has independent pumps with motors whereas on the snapper pro they are combination units. Thoughts on the differences in the transmissions? Also I would get the higher hp kawasaki motor on the snapper.

I am interested in comments on the ride quality, cut quality and reliability of these units for those who have used them too.

I am also interested in a small tow behind rake-style dethatcher to run a couple of times a year on my own lawn - can a ZT tolerate this compared to a tractor?

2. jermedic

jermedic LawnSite Member

Or does a power dethatcher do a better job?
  3. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

I had the snapper. If you are side discharging its really good . However here in the south that is not an option for me. It did not mulch well, and snapper had some issues with the mulch kit leaving a strip of uncut grass in the center of the deck. So my dealer recommended the mulch kit without the baffels.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the gravely 34. It is about to turn 2,000 hours any day now. I have had to replace the seat, blade belt, hydro belt, battery and a idler pulley. Just typical wear items. It has been a great mower. It will clog up in wet conditions but in typical cutting conditions it cuts very good for us. What ever you do, do not try to mow a hill or even a slight slope sideways. The narrow frame and narrow tires will not allow it and you will end up at the bottom of the hill or slope.