1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Snapper pulling out of Wal-Mart?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burns60, Jan 18, 2006.

1. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like it. Just read an article about the CEO of Snapper who had a meeting with Wal-Mart execs and saw the handwriting on the wall. Jim Wier, the CEO of Snapper realized that if he kept selling his mowers through Wal-Mart that the quality would have to keep degenerating to the point that the product would become worthless. Wal-Mart, in their battle with Home Depot (John Deere) and Lowe's(Cub Cadet) would continue to demand Mr. Wier that his Snapper line would have to lower price thereby lowering quality.

Hats off to Mr. Wier. He gave up 20% of his business, but expects to gain most of it back through increased business with the dealers that still sell Snapper.

You can read the entire story at AOL. Very interesting story.
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Actually.. I believe this happened some time back in like 2002 or 2003..
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't believe I have ever seen a snapper mower at a wally world, ever.

GEO :confused:
  4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Really, I thought I had seen a line of Snappers at Wal-Mart last spring a block long.

I read in the article that Mr. Wier had bought or accquired Snapper in 2002, but not that he pulled out of Wal-Mart that year.

Sorry, everyone just carry on and disregard my new flash that seems to be not a flash after all.

Anyway, a late hats off to Mr. Wier.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to reply the same thing but you beat me to it, me neither have seen a snapper mower at a walmart. :)
  6. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I did one time. I notice a snapper rider 8 hp in a long line of murrays at the local walmart here. It sure did look out of place. That was the only time I have seen them there.
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a link to the story? Yes, very interesting.
  8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

not smart to sell an expencive mower like snapper at wally world in the first place. people want lowest price -not high quality at walmart. snappers were sold very briefly at home depot several years ago too.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

that was a great story.

my father bought one of those snappers...21", 6 hp KAW, self propelled, electric start, discharge, bag or mulch....

I shudder to think what he gave for it but he liked it and that is all that matters.

GEO :)