Snapper push mower (FJ180V engine) oil change question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lionintexas, Jul 7, 2008.

1. lionintexas

lionintexas LawnSite Member

I have a Snapper push mower model RP2160KWV with a Kawasaki FJ180V engine. I changed the oil last week, and it was more difficult than I bargained for. The oil drain plug is located on the side of the engine. It was hard to access and then loosen the plug, while tipping the mower on it's side, so that the oil would flow into a pan. I ended up spilling half the used oil on the lawn! As far as I can tell, there is not an oil drain plug on the under side of the mower. The side plug is all I could find.

Is there an aftermarket part you can buy to extend the oil drain plug outward (maybe a tube or something) so that all you have to do is tip the mower and all the oil flows neatly into a pan and not on the deck?
    Am I making this more difficult than it really is?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It's just a plug that you unscrew and not a valve? I have a kawi. engine that has a valve of sorts and I just use a bit of tubing that fits over it at the end to get the oil where it needs to go.

3. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I would think there would be a way to fabricate something to make it work. I would have to look at it to give you ideas.

I have a snapper as well. I have the 6.0 briggs, though. Oil drain is at the bottom.

Good luck.

4. gear head

gear head LawnSite Member

just drain the oil from the fill port...remove the dipstick and tilt the mower on its side

5. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

6. lionintexas

lionintexas LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Here are a few followup notes/questions:
    Jason Rose:
    The plug is an un screw type, so when you unscrew it, you have to have the mower tiltled over already and accept the fact that you get hot oil running over your hands to start the flow. I wish it was a valve that I could connect a tube to direct the oil where I needed it to go.

gear head:
    Do you get all the oil out of the fill port? I have an oil filter on the FJ180V also, which also creates a mess, but I think I have to live with that.

Phil G:
    Do you get all the oil out with the extractor? It seems to me that some oil and debris will be left behin with the extractor.
    Do you leave the oil filter on or off when extracting?

7. gear head

gear head LawnSite Member

You get most of the oil out through the fill port. After you drain the oil, change the filter, then refill with fresh oil. Job done.

8. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had any problems with debris/sludge left in the sump area. I usually run the engine for a few minuets to get the oil warm and syphon out oil. When you get towards the end tilt the mower slightly to remove any small amount of oil left. One of the advantages of using one of these as opposed to tilting the mower right over is you minimise the risk of flooding the carb' and becoming a pain in the butt to restart.
    Go on, treat yourself to one, I assure you it will make oil changes a pleasure.

Oh, and change the filter when the sump is empty

:D