Snapper Rear Engine lost throttle control.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vdubber, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Vdubber

Vdubber LawnSite Member

I have been using my 1999 rear engine 11.5 hp B&S, for about 7 years. Last week it sounded like something had come loose inside so I killed the engine. Oil was good, gas was fine, no obstructions on blade. I decided to try to start it back up, so gave a pull and she started right back up, sounded good. Only problem is that now the throttle does not regulate the motor speed. It works the choke just fine, but the engine only runs at one speed. I can't find anything out of place as far as springs and linkages. Everything seems to be moving correctly according to possition of throttle lever.

Can anyone give me any ideas about what may have made the clattering sound and why the carb doesn't seem to care when the throttle position is moved?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If all the linkages and springs are all hooked up, Sounds like the governor / (oil slinger) may have slung apart inside the engine. If that's the case engine removal along with sump (oil pan) will need to be done to replace it.

3. Vdubber

Vdubber LawnSite Member

That would probably explain the loud clattering just before I shut it down. I just wonder why when I started it back up, it didn't make the noise anymore and runs (although at about mid range speed wise). Moves the mower along in all gears without bogging, but any high grass will bring it down to it's knees. Thank you for you post, I think you are on the money, sounds like something internal. Is that a hard thing to replace? I am semi-mechanical, fix old VWs all the time, but not that experienced on small engines.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you work on VW's you should have no problem pulling the sump (pan) and replacing the governor, The metal L shape bracket slides right over the cam shaft. Also replace the lower crank seal while you have the sump off, Torque the sump screws to 200 in.lbs. in a criss-cross pattern. Once all back together the governor will need to be adjusted. I posted the procedure in this thread; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=155081

Good Luck

5. Vdubber

Vdubber LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help. I knew something wasn't right in there, but the thing still runs and cuts although I have to go very slow through thicker grass areas. Just couldn't figure why the throttle moving everything on the carb wouldn't change the rpms. It will choke just fine, but that is a seperate linkage. You have pointed me in the direction that I think is most probable as there was some strange internal noise before I shut 'er down that first time. Much obliged Restrorob!