Snapper rear engine riders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, May 10, 2005.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I think the best cutting mower I ever had was a Snapper rear engine rider. Not a good mower for cutting lots of grass fast of course but that big 30" blade sure did a nice job.

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I tell ya, my 28" rider sure has taken a beating. Truely the best mower I've ever owned.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

In 1983 a 28" Snapper RER was my primary mower and I was very proud of it. Most of the LCOs in my area were walking and I was riding.

4. ABrown

ABrown LawnSite Member

I used A 30'' 8hp for along time when I first started in high school. It left the best looking cut of any mower I have ever seen.

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one for a long time.....always thinking of Jenny...
    Lucky my Bubba Gump Shrimp does so well...huh huh.....
    Signed, Forrest Gump

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Rode a 30" hi vac for years. Great mower. When the engine died I gave it to grandpa and he dropped a new honda 10 on it and still runs it. Mower has to be 20 years old. Things gettin really scary to ride now lol. Way more flex that I rememeber. Local dealers still got em here. Man they cut nice but dang they were SLOW

7. I have a snapper RER 26 inch cut with a 6 hp I bought for $50.00 that my wife uses to cut about 1 acre a week at the house. Was going to get rid of it but wife said if it goes she would not mow around house any more.... :dizzy: It leaves a very nice cut but it is slow.

8. oughtsix

oughtsix LawnSite Member
    from oregon

The single blade does a much better job giving an even cut! With a hivac blade they do a great job of sucking up leaves as well as sweeping the driveway when you have a bagger attached.

9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 1979 Snapper 33" rear engine rider with the original 11HP Briggs engine. It is the single blade, and it has a pretty good quality of cut. I very rarely use it since I now have 36" and 48" WB mowers. I used it on 7 accounts up until 2 years ago, and it did a pretty good job. It's still in very good shape consitering it's age.

10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I been wondering how they do in high grass. One guy told me they will obliterate pine cones, but he never mowed high grass with his. Anybody have an opinion on this?