Snapper RER 12.5 HP Mulching ability

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jopopsy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Hey Gang,

If I pick up one of these w/ the mulching kit, how well does it actually mulch?

Thanks in advance !

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on you.

When the grass grows heavy & thick (in the spring), you are going to need to cut it more often than you would if you were bagging or discharging the grass.

The general rule for cutting grass is to only cut the top third of the blade off at a time. Cutting the grass more than this traumatizes it and it will need therapy (HA!).
    Seriously, it will start to brown and/or curl from the heat, and cutting it short stunts the growth of new roots (thick roots = crowded out weeds), making your job of a good-looking lawn tougher.

Wether you bag, discharge or mulch, make sure your blades are sharp.
    Also, cutting more than 1/3 of the blade of grass overwhelms the cutting acting of the mulching blades (which are different than the blades that come with the RER, IIRC), leaving ugly-looking clumps of grass everywhere.

3. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

I'm pretty anal when it comes to my grass. I'll be out there whenver it needs me to be out there (so long as the ground isn't soggy - I have a clay soil out here).