Snapper RER Slips When Disk is Hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sowega86, May 16, 2008.

1. sowega86

sowega86 LawnSite Member

Bought a new RER in July 2006 which is still under warranty. Model No. 281223BVE. Took it in for routine service early this spring for tune-up, new mulch blade, drive disk, etc. Since that service, I have returned it to the selling dealer twice for an operational problem that only happens after the mower is hot. When I finish mowing my backyard, I have to exit the mower to open a gate for another section of the yard. When I get back on the mower and restart it and shift into any forward speed, there is no forward motion and no reverse either. However, repeated shifting into reverse usually works although it is at a slower speed. The selling dealer did not find any problems during two followup visits. The mower is now at a larger dealership and they cannot get the drive issue to duplicate. Snapper Tech Support is now involved but neither Snapper nor the third dealer can diagnose the problem. When the mower is cold, none of these operational problems happen. All technical assistance is welcome. Thanks.

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Do you still have your owner's manual ? If so , check the section on drive disc adjustment. If you have the "smooth start " clutch the fiber disc may be worn out. If dealer only replaced the rubber disk then this may be the problem. Just my half-fast opinion.....

3. sowega86

sowega86 LawnSite Member

Before the routine service, the disk was fine; however, the selling dealer replaced it saying that it was showing wear. The replacement disk was a softer rubber material and I after the replacement, the drive system has been having issues when the disk gets hot. Both dealers report that the new disk drive is fine. Snapper Tech support is assisting the current Snapper dealer shop; but no answers have come forth. It would seem that after 40+ years that their knowledge base would have a fix for this issue.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

check to see if the fiber disk is in place-it needs to be there to prevent slipping

5. sowega86

sowega86 LawnSite Member

Is the fiber disk the same as the drive disk?

6. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Thge fiber disk is a part of the "driven disk" assembly. The "Drive Disk" is the part that is attatched to the engine shaft. If you have the "smooth start clutch" the fiber disk functions as controlled method of slippage when engaging the clutch so as not to be so "herky-jerky" on take-off . It allows for a smoother take-off hence the name.If the dealer replaced the "drive disc" and does not have it set at the proper distance from bottom of crankcase on the engine then that too could attribute to the slippage. Again, do you have the operators manual ?

7. sowega86

sowega86 LawnSite Member

I picked the mower up this morning. The dealer made adjustments increasing the tension on the drive disk and brake/clutch. The drive disk does have a fiber disk installed on the inside.
    When I got it home, I could not duplicate the problems that were so prevalent before. I still have the owners manual and also keep a downloaded copy in my computer. I appreciate the helpful advice from everyone. Thank you.