Snapper/Toro

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mjohn, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mjohn

mjohn LawnSite Member

My father is considering self propelled, 21'', (non commercial) Snapper or Toro, He wants one that can bag, well mulch well, and idle without the blade engaged.

Any model suggestions?

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a thread in the picture forum and I quoted this guy about his Toro's and Snappers and he said that the Toro's are better built..Maybe pm him and ask him about them..

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214690

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if the 2 choices are only snapper and toro, you are going to have to go with Toro to get those 2 options. Snapper han no available BBC (the feature that allows you to shut off the blade while the engine still runs) and also Snappers do NOT mulch well. They do make a seperate model that dosn't have the rim around the bottom of the deck for mulching, but then the bagging abilities are hindered...

I'd say that Toro is the best option. But... The features you want are only found on the high-end models or even commercial models.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Toro makes a non-commercial 21" Super Recycler with BBC (Blade Brake Clutch)...I'm not sure of the price.

I've been commercially~using the 21 Super Recycler (w/o BBC) and have been very pleased with their performance and reliability...they are around $550 with a bag. The 6.5 Briggs engine has been great!

FWIW, I've read & heard that the BBC will have a negative affect on mulching ability due to the space the mechanism takes up under the deck. Ask your Toro dealer about this...as they also verified this for me.

These mowers are only sold at Toro dealers.

5. mjohn

mjohn LawnSite Member

Are Toro's still made in the USA?

6. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

get a snapper they are great i still have one from 1991 and beat the crap outta it every day in the season. follow up on maintaining it and it will run forever