snapper vs. encore

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DBC, Nov 13, 2000.

1. DBC

DBC LawnSite Member

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    After having a lawn service take care of the grass cutting around the house I bought two years ago, I have decided to purchase a mower and do it myself. It is an acre with about twenty trees--a mix of oak and maple. There is a quite a bit of fallen leaves in the fall, so the mower will need to
    vacuum/catch with ease. I have ruled out a lawn tractor since I have no need of attachments (snowplow, wagon, etc).
    I have been looking at the ZTR mowers because of agility and speed. A 42" deck is sufficient for my needs. One mower I have considered is the Snapper Yard Cruiser 15 hp 42". This is residential equipment so the question is how long can it be expected to last before problems begin to appear. It will be used once a week during the summer and more often in the fall because of the leaves. It has a 3 year warranty but with lighter duty pumps and no hydro filter. I also wonder how well it will pick up leaves if traveling at any speed faster than a crawl. The best price for mower/bag is $4000. The other choice (currently) is the Encore Z42 with the 17 hp Kawasaki. Obviously, this will have a much longer life since it is built to commericial specifications. The collection system has an active vacuum which runs off the deck which should help with the pickup of leaves. Right?? The best price for mower/collection system is $6000. Any experience/comments on the Encore? How well does the collection system work? Is it a correct assumption that an extra $2000 up front (over the cost of the Snapper) may save me a lot more cash down the road with repairs? I would imagine that the increased complexity of the ZTR mower means more things to potentially fail and are very expensive to fix.
    Funny, this whole adventure started as a search for the fastest/easiest method for taking care of the leaf problem and has grown out of control. Hmmmm...maybe cutting down all the trees.....

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have never liked Snapper. Most everyone I know has had problems with them, and no small engine shop around here likes them. I do have an encore. Personnally I would not waste my money on one again. It's kind of a throw together mower. Cheep parts, that don't last very long. I think you might want to consider a 44" Exmark Lazar HP. You can get the mulching kit for around $110 and mulch those leaves very well and they are a great natural source of nutrients for your lawn. The cut quality and appearence of the grass will also be awesome. Will look like it was bagged throughout the year. You will also cut down on your nitrogen requirements. Price for this unit will be around $6299. Add $110 for mulch kit and you will be much better off than the other two choices you have. In the future, if desired you can add the ultra vac to this unit for around $1200. For your personal lawn, it will be the last mower you will ever need to buy.

3. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I agree with 65Hoss. That is exactly what I was going to recomend or a Walker. You can get a 44" LazerZ HP wit a 17hp. Kawasaki for $6,000 + $110 for the mulch kit. If you have the mulcher you won't need the bagger, that's an extra $1,200. Or you can go with a Walker. The Model C would work for your needs. It has a 16hp. Kohler engine and a 42" deck, with a 6.7 or 9.5 bushel begging system. This unit runs appx. $8,000. Maybe a little bit too expensive for a homeowner.

4. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you're not opposed to emptying the bag constantly consider a belt drive wb w/ a sulky. Maybe a 48 or 52 inch. An exmark would run between 2400-2800 plus 250 for bagger and 250 for sulky. THat's about 2900-3300. If you maintain it, it will last you for years with the 50 hours a season you would put on it cutting a 1 acre lot.

5. champion

champion LawnSite Member

I disagree with 65hoss I dont think snappers are throw together mowers. I use three snappers everyday with no proplems except your normal wear.I also have a encore 36 & 48 w/b I prefer my snapper because the handle bars and grips are more comfortable and has more power.
    Snappers are a little more expensive but I think its worth it.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No, I said the encore was a thrown together mower. Not the snapper. The problems I've heard about with the snappers is quicker normal wear.

7. champion

champion LawnSite Member

I'm sorry about that 65hoss. I reread your forum again and it makes sence. Ihave good luck so far with my snappers I guss its all in the maintenance.

8. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Yo Champ,

Do you have the snapper riding zero turn mower? If so how well does it cut.

9. champion

champion LawnSite Member

well green finger I have 2 zero turn both cut great. the only thing is my 73 clumped a little then i put ninja blades on in spring and fall and it took care of that proplem. The 60 cuts great with reg. blades I JUST LOVE MY SNAPPERS+

10. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

;;;;;;;;;;ooooooo