Snapper W/ quantum engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by S man, Oct 24, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I picked up a snapper push not walk behind mower and has a quantum xm on it. The darn thing run like it's at 4000 rpms and knocks and shakes. What can I do to get it back at 3600?

Also the body is a 20" with a regular gear drive like on a murray only it's a rear wheel drive. And the wheels are very loose and wobbly. How can I make it a push mower and correct the wheel problem? The wheels go through a rod that's for the transmission and there's two things next to it that hold the wheels. Those are very loose and screwed up.

Need some help here.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I'm sure when the techs show up they will ask you for the model of the mower, and the model and stuff off the engine. Was this mower sitting under the water that flooded NO?

3. S man

Yes a little. It is a rp205000 model. I have annother quantum that is a 6.5 hp and I was looking at how the governor is different from this one. It's strange the throttle doesn't work. It stays at those overly high rpms.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Below is a parts break-down on your drive system with part#'s.
    Take the rear wheels off and replace Ref. #19 bushing, Look at Ref.# 26 and check for wear and replace as needed. Remove REf.# 21 and #4 and discard, Do this on both sides and the unit will be a push mower with tight wheels.
    Sent PM on the engine problem.

Good Luck

Attached Files:

5. S man

Thanks. Is there also a way to put a 19" snapper rear wheel handle level set on this one?

6. Restrorob

If it's also self propel maybe, If a push model I would say no.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Rob, the original poster replied that it was sitting under water when New Orleans was flooded. What would all that mix of salt water and sludge have done to the mower? I know salty sea water will eat unprotected metal fairly easily. Perhaps all of the linkages on the motor are corroded over?

8. Restrorob

Your right, I recieved a pm from him before I read the thread and suggested checking the carb. throttle shaft and linkage for hanging up.

9. S man

Hi guys. My internet is down and I'm using a pc at radioshack. We have a fema trailer in hammond la. That's where I am now. I will start a new thread when I'm ready to work on my equipment. I also have a mtd side discharge mower with a 3.75 sprint. The cable for the bail was very screwed up but I fixed it and it now seems like it's a new cable and is very easy to grip and easy to release. Thanks for the help.

Scott