Snapper walk behind mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JIP, Mar 16, 2005.

1. JIP

JIP LawnSite Member
    from 15243

Anyone have opinions on Snapper walk behind mowers. I am considering buying one and would like some input.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying one new or used?
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have an opinion on them. I have had one for five years now very reliable. It has unknown amount of hours on it, and it still doesn't smoke at all. Starts on the first or second pull most every Spring after a long winter. It has a 14hp, Kaw on a 36" deck.

I should also add that I bought mine used it is a 1999 model, but it had only been used 1 year. I also forgot to mention it is a hydro unit. Hope this answers any questions. Tony
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

good machines, make sure you buy the kawasaki!
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

That is all we used up until last year when we switched to Wrights. Very well built and reliable machines. Get the hydro, and you won't be disappointed. And for the money, the 36" belts area good deal as well. We got excellent service from our Snapper dealer to bak up the machines. Good luck..
  6. kwelch

kwelch LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Snapper thats 10 years old and I've never had any problems with it. It didn't stripe all that well but I added a Proslide to it and it now puts down stripes like you wouldn't believe!
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting... when I see the name Snapper, the only thing I think about it their 21" mowers. But yet everyone else thinks about their bigger commercial walk behinds. I guess my thinking is due to the fact that NOBODY has large commercial walkbehinds here. *ok, there is 2, but they both have Lescos* So what one were you asking about, a 21", or larger? I have owned a snapper 21" myslef, it was ok, but nothing exciting. plugged a lot when bagging and had a lot of high wear parts on it. They have been built the same forever. Otherwise a nice machine.
  8. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I have used Snapper Wb and I will concur that the hydro Wbs are very nice. The only dislike I had with them was they didin't strip as well as the Ransomes bobcat. I now use Walkers but still use my bobcat for backyards and such. The snapper is a good machine with plenty of dealer support. You should be happy with you purchase.
  9. JIP

JIP LawnSite Member
    from 15243

Sorry just to clarify 48" Hydro commercial walk behind. I originally wanted a wider deck but was told by the dealer that wider decks scalp a lot on uneven terrain and wouldn't work as well on hills an that is the most important thing for my use. I am the grounds supervisor for a retirement community and we have a lot of steep hills we currently cut with a New Holland TC21D going up and down and this takes forever so another question would be walk behinds in general on hills how steep can you go?
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 Snapper hydro units 36" with the adjustable decks. They have been good units but we like our 36" Scag hydro a lot more. The Scag is a floating deck and is much less prone to scalp, you have to be very careful with the snapper. And, the control handles for the snapper are very stressful over a long time. Definitely don't buy any belt driven Snapper! Pay a little extra and get a Scag, you won't be sorry.